Country Apple Coffee Cake – #37 of 52 Pillsbury Grand Prize Recipes in 52 Weeks
Country Apple Coffee Cake won the 31st Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1984. Recipe on Pillsbury.com by Susan F. Porubcan of Jefferson, Wisconsin. This is a super easy yet impressive breakfast. Great for your guests at the holidays. It even has some booze. That’s right, there’s whiskey in it. It’s only 1 1/2 teaspoons but you could add more if you’re feeling festive.
Start by putting chopped apples in a greased pan. I prefer Granny Smith.
Add chopped biscuits.
Then add a mixture of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, corn syrup, whiskey, egg and pecans. Spoon over biscuit pieces and apples.
Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes. Let cool and drizzle with icing. Easy peazy! And your guests will ooh and ah.
- Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury®
- Coffee Cake
- 2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 can (12 oz) Pillsbury™ Grands!™ Jr. Golden Layers® refrigerated biscuits
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whiskey, if desired
- 1 LAND O LAKES® Egg
- 1/2 cup Fisher® Chef's Naturals® Pecan Halves or Pieces
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Using 1 tablespoon of the butter, generously grease 9-inch round cake pan or 8-inch square pan. Spread 1 cup of the apples in pan.
- Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Cut each into quarters. Arrange biscuit pieces, points up, over apples. Top with remaining 1/2 cup apples.
- In small bowl, mix remaining 1 tablespoon butter, the brown sugar, cinnamon, corn syrup, whiskey and egg; beat 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar is partially dissolved. Stir in pecans. Spoon over biscuit pieces and apples.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. If desired, remove from pan.
- In small bowl, mix glaze ingredients, adding enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm cake. Serve warm or cool. Cover and refrigerate any remaining coffee cake.