Frosted Brownies With Walnuts
A healthier, gluten free brownie with fudgy, Greek yogurt frosting.
It’s been a week since I posted last and that’s because I was out of town over the weekend. I went to Minnesota for a photography workshop which turned out to be amazing! I can’t wait to tell you all about it! Stay tuned for a blog post about that very soon!
I got back on Sunday, but it’s taken me a few days to regroup. Ever need a vacation from your vacation? Yeah, me too!
So I made these scrumptious Frosted Brownies With Walnuts before I left. I love them because they’re easy and use some healthy ingredients! Like coconut oil instead of butter and frosting made of Greek yogurt, plus they’re gluten free and they have walnuts. Another “good” fat ingredient.
Have you ever used Bob’s Red Mill brownie mix? It just happens to be one of the best brownie mixes that I’ve ever had. It produces a soft and delicate yet fudgy brownie that’s so delicious, you’d never know it was gluten free!
I just followed the directions on the package, except I substituted melted coconut oil instead of butter. The other ingredients it called for were an egg, vanilla extract, and warm water. I mixed it up by hand and poured into a greased 13×9 baking pan.
Then baked as directed, about 25 minutes on 350°F.
While they were cooling, I made this amazing frosting. Would you believe that I clipped this recipe when I was about 12 years old? I found it in a magazine way back in the 1970s and still have it today. Isn’t that cool! It’s so simple, just 2 ingredients. Melted chocolate and sour cream, except I used Greek yogurt instead.
Stir them together and you get this lovely frosting that’s perfect for brownies!
I spread it onto the cooled brownies, then sprinkled them with chopped walnuts. And done!
Super easy and so scrumptious!
- For the brownies:
- 1 (21 oz.) package Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup warm water
- For the frosting:
- 6 ounces semi-sweet (good quality) chocolate
- 1 cup lowfat Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to package instructions except use melted coconut oil instead of melted butter. Mix together by hand in a large bowl until completely incorporated and smooth, but don't over mix. Pour batter into a greased 13x9 baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a glass or metal bowl set over a pot of simmering hot water. Gradually blend in yogurt and it's ready to spread. Frost brownies, then sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.