Sugar Free Strawberry Pie
Do you remember a restaurant called the Big Boy? I haven’t seen one in a long time but they used to have one in Tallahassee where I grew up. It was right next to the movie theater on Highway 27, across from the mall. Besides the fact that they had their famous Big Boy statue out front (think Austin Powers if you’re a movie fan), the thing I remember most about that restaurant was their amazing strawberry pie. It was so tempting with it’s deep red color and juicy strawberries in a flaky crust.
I was craving it the other day and decided to make a slightly healthier, sugar free version and oh BOY did it come out great! My Sugar Free Strawberry Pie is every bit as satisfying as the one of my childhood!
Look how pretty it is! You will never miss the sugar in this one. And it still has a traditional, flaky crust which makes it total comfort food with fewer calories. It’s berrylicious!
I actually made this pie for Mother’s Day, so I wanted it to be a little extra special. I used a tiny heart cookie cutter to cut out the heart shaped pieces of pie dough to add to the edge of the crust.
I used a refrigerated crust that came with two pie crusts, rolled up. I simply unrolled the first crust and placed in the bottom of the pie plate. Then I used the second crust for the hearts. I brushed the edge of the pie crust with water to get the hearts to stick.
Then I pricked the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles. I baked it at 350°F. until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.
Meanwhile, I heated a mixture of water and cornstarch until it boiled. Then stirred constantly until thickened. I added sugar free strawberry gelatin and stirred until dissolved.
I added fresh strawberries to the baked pie crust.
Then poured the gelatin mixture over the berries.
Place in refrigerator until set, about 4 hours or overnight.
Garnish with a dollop of whipped topping and a sprig of fresh mint, if you want to. I think the whipped topping makes it even better!
If you’re a fan of berries and pie, you must try this Sugar Free Strawberry Pie. It’s berry, berry good!
- 2 pie crusts (I used Pillsbury® Refrigerated Pie Crust)
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 small (.3 oz) and 1 large (.6 oz) package of sugar free strawberry gelatin
- Optional garnish:
- Sugar free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place one crust in the bottom of a 9" pie plate. Spread the remaining crust on a lightly floured surface and cut small hearts out using a 1" heart cookie cutter. Cut as many hearts as you can.
- Brush the edge of the pie crust with a little bit of water (the one in the pie plate). Add hearts around the edge of pie crust. Use a fork to poke holes in bottom and sides of crust. Place remaining hearts on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake pie crust for 15-18 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Let cool.
- Bake hearts for 9-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool.
- Layer strawberries on bottom of cooled crust.
- Stir together water and corn starch in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower heat and simmer while stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatin. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour over strawberries.
- Place in refrigerator until set, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve pie with extra hearts, whipped topping and mint, if desired.