Chocolate Cherry Bars
Let me just say that this is hands down my favorite recipe so far in this baking project. Not only are these Chocolate Cherry Bars delicious, they are super easy to make too. It’s a win win situation! Chocolate Cherry Bars was 1 of 2 winners at the 25th Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1974. Recipe on Pillsbury.com by Francis I. Jerzak of Porter, Minnesota.
Here’s all you need to prepare the bars. Only 4 ingredients. Sweet!
For the bars, simply mix together the 4 ingredients and bake. The icing is also just 4 ingredients (sugar, milk, butter, and chocolate chips) which you melt in a pan on the stove.
Frost the bars and try not to eat the whole pan!
These Chocolate Cherry Bars are so moist with a lovely cherry flavor. Who doesn’t love chocolate and cherries together! This one is a winner indeed!
- Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury®
- For the cake
- 1 (18.25-oz.) pkg. Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme™ Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 (21-oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- For the Frosting
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 (6-oz.) pkg. (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 15x10x1-inch baking pan or 13x9-inch pan. In large bowl, combine all cake bar ingredients; stir until well blended. Pour into greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350°F. until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For 15x10x1-inch pan, bake 20 to 30 minutes; for 13x9-inch pan, bake 25 to 35 minutes.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, milk and margarine. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour and spread over warm bars. Cool 1 1/4 hours or until completely cooled. Cut into bars.
You might also like…