Orange Glazed Cranberry Scones
Orange Glazed Cranberry Scones are light, fluffy cranberry orange scones with apricots and an orange icing drizzle.
Servings 16 scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 240g
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 50g
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons orange zest divided
- 5 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, sliced to 1/4-inch pieces 70g
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries (preferably fresh, but you can use frozen or dried as well) 135g
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots 65g
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream 230ml
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided 43g
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar 175g
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the orange zest. Using two knives or a pastry blender, quickly cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
Stir in cranberries and apricots, then add cream. With a rubber spatula or fork, stir until dough begins to form.
Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, shape each half into a 7" disc. The dough will be sticky. You can sprinkle it with a little extra flour, if needed. Using a floured knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 wedges. Transfer to large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Brush with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Bake 13-16 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
Meanwhile, prepare the orange glaze. Place powdered sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon orange zest , 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter and 2 tablespoons orange juice in a medium bowl. Stir until smooth. Add more juice, if needed. Pour glaze into 1 quart resealable food storage bag. Cut off tiny corner of bag; squeeze bag to drizzle icing over scones. Store in airtight container. They will keep for several days or freeze for longer life.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 166mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 551IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg