Better Than Sex Cake is a delicious retro recipe with a fun name that tastes like a pineapple poke cake with pudding, cool whip and coconut. Don't forget the cherries on top! Sure to be one of your all time favorite cake recipes.
Looking for another poke cake recipe? Try Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake which is one of the all time most popular recipes on my website. Your family will love this chocolate poke cake.
Why I love this Delicious Cake
• First of all, the name of this cake just cracks me up!
• It's my grandmother's easy recipe and the cutest part is she called it Better Than Sex? Cake (with the question mark)!
• This is simply the best cake, so quick to make with just a few simple ingredients and that wonderful pineapple coconut flavor!
• The crushed pineapple makes the cake very moist and delicious.
• It's a decadent cake that's perfect for a special occasion.
What you need
Cake Mix - Recipe calls for a regular yellow cake mix or box mix (approximately 15.25 ounces). We used a gluten free mix and it worked great. Use your favorite brand name or grocery store brand. (Photo above shows a white cake mix because I forgot to take the photo before I made the cake. You could use a white cake mix, if desired.)
Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix - Make sure you get the instant kind, NOT cook and serve. We used a 5.1 ounce (large) package of instant vanilla pudding mix for this cake.
Whipped Topping - Use 8 ounces frozen whipped topping that has been thawed such as Cool Whip topping. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use. If you prefer, you can make homemade whipped cream. Beat 16 ounces of heavy cream with ¼ cup of sugar until stiff peaks form.
Coconut Flakes - We used unsweetened coconut flakes but you could also use sweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut.
How to make this Better Than Sex Cake recipe
- In a large bowl, prepare boxed cake mix according to package directions on box and bake in a 13" x 9" baking pan. See cake mix package for baking time and temperature. Poke holes in baked cake with end of a wooden spoon.
- Mix pineapple and sugar in sauce pan. Bring to boil. Pour pineapple mixture over hot cake. Let cake cool. Then prepare vanilla instant pudding mix according to directions on box with an electric mixer. Spread over the top of the cake.
- Spread Cool Whip over the pudding layer of the cake. Use an offset spatula to create a wavy pattern in the topping, if desired.
- Sprinkle coconut over cake, then add cherries (if desired). Keep scrolling for full recipe.
• This classic poke cake recipe is great for entertaining a crowd. You can make multiple trays for a large number of people.
• Store cake covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This cake will also freeze well.
• If you want to make it like a Pina Colada cake, after boiling the pineapple mixture remove ½ cup of the liquid and replace with rum. Then pour over cake and follow recipe as written.
Note: Photo below was taken by my son. I was working on this post while out of town, so I called him to take a photo of the recipe for me and text it to me. Thanks, Luke!
Frequently asked questions
Can I use a gluten free cake mix instead of regular? Absolutely! That's what we did for this recipe and it turned out great.
Why didn't you include the eggs, oil and water in the ingredients? I don’t include exact amounts of the ingredients that go into the cake mix because it depends on the box itself. There is some variation between brands so it’s best just to reference the box you have.
Is it ok to use whipped cream instead of Cool Whip? You can absolutely use homemade whipped cream if you are going to serve it immediately.The problem with whipped cream is that it can start to weep after 24 hours. If you are making it ahead of time, definitely use cool whip. Note: You can make homemade whipping cream by beating 2 cups of heavy whipping cream with ¼ cup of powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
Do I have to use a yellow cake mix? White cake mix will also work in this recipe!
Better Than Sex Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix, prepared according to package 15.25 ounces
- 1 large can crushed pineapple 20 ounces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large vanilla instant pudding mix 5.1 ounces
- 1 tub whipped topping we used 8 ounces of Cool Whip
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 12 maraschino cherries, drained
- In a large bowl, prepare boxed cake mix according to package directions on box and bake in a 13" x 9" baking pan. See cake mix package for baking time and temperature. Poke holes in cake with end of a wooden spoon.
- Mix pineapple and sugar in sauce pan. Bring to boil. Pour pineapple mixture over hot cake. Let cake cool.
- Prepare vanilla instant pudding mix according to directions on box. Spread over the top of the cake.
- Spread Cool Whip over cake. Sprinkle coconut over cake, then add cherries (if desired). Makes 12 servings.