Chocolate Praline Layer Cake – a devil’s food cake with a delicious layer of pecan pralines baked right in. Sort of like a pecan praline upside down cake. Filled and frosted with freshly whipped cream, then topped with chocolate curls and pecans.
Easy to make with a cake mix and a few added ingredients.
Chocolate Praline Layer Cake won the 33rd Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1988. Recipe is by Julie Bengtson of Bemidji, Minnesota. This cake is just as good as it looks. It is one of my favorite recipes of the 52 in my baking project.
How to make Chocolate Praline Layer Cake
Note: This is just an overview. Scroll down for full recipe.
Start with butter, 1/4 cup whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over low heat in saucepan just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into two 9 or 8-inch round cake pans; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
Then you pour the cake batter over the praline mixture.
Bake at 325°F. for about 40 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Now you have a praline crusted cake which is yummy all by itself, but since you want to make it pretty, you add the whipped cream frosting.
With a bench scraper, scrape the chocolate in small sections to create the curls.
Frost the cake with sweetened whipped cream. Add the curls and more nuts. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to a week. Great for a party!
Want even more? Stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
You might also like…
Chocolate Praline Layer Cake
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 box Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme™ Devil's Food Cake Mix 18.25-oz.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 pecan halves if desired
- 16 chocolate curls if desired
- Heat oven to 325°F. In small heavy saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over low heat just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into two 9 or 8-inch round cake pans; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs; beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture.
- Bake at 325°F. for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- In small bowl, beat 1 3/4 cups whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer on serving plate, praline side up. Spread with half of whipped cream. Top with second layer, praline side up; spread top with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with whole pecans and chocolate curls. Store in refrigerator.