By popular demand, here's the secret recipe for Granny's Homemade Pound Cake - a rich, buttery cake that is a family favorite in Alabama.
My cousin, Jack, made this cake and posted the pic on Instagram a few weeks ago. I shared the photo and got lots of comments from people asking for the recipe. Jack was so sweet to share his granny's special recipe and now I'm sharing it with you.
Pound cake gets its name from having a pound of each ingredient like a pound of butter, pound of sugar, pound of flour and so on. It seems that the recipe has changed over the years but it is still just as good. This recipe doesn't have a pound of each ingredient but is completely delicious!
How to Make Pound Cake
Mix margarine, butter, and cream cheese together until fluffy.
Add sugar gradually. Then add eggs, one at a time.
Slowly add flour & vanilla.
Bake in greased, flour Bundt pan for 2 hrs or more at 275. Test cake to see if done .
Out of oven, let it rest at least 15 minutes. Then remove from pan.
Pro Tips for Making the Perfect Pound Cake
1) Make sure the margarine, butter, cream cheese and eggs are at room temperature before mixing.
2) Do not overbeat the cake batter.
2) Start in cold oven.
3) Put a little pan of water under your cake when it is baking to keep moist.
4) Turn the oven on AFTER you put the cake in.
Tools for success
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Photo credit: All photos in this post are by my cousin, Jack.
Granny's Homemade Pound Cake
- Grease and flour a large tube pan or 12-cup Bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix margarine, butter, cream cheese together until fluffy with an electric mixer on medium. With mixer on low, add sugar gradually. Then add eggs, one at a time. Slowly add flour & vanilla, then mix until combined. Batter will be thick, do not overbeat. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 2 hrs or more at 275°F. Test cake to see if done by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. Out of oven, let it rest at least 15 minutes. Then remove from pan.
- Pro tips: Make sure margarine, butter, cream cheese. Eggs are at room temp. Put a little pan of water under your cake when it is cooking to keep moist. Start in cold oven. When you put the cake in oven then turn it on.
You might also like Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
Or Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake - it's Gluten Free.
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.