DIY Cute Critters Cupcakes are brownies with buttercream frosting and fondant faces of a bunny, badger, bear and kitten. Thank you to Wilton Brand for providing the baking and cake decorating tools I used for these DIY Cute Critters Cupcakes.
Hello friends. How’s your Summer going so far? I hope you’re enjoying the sunshine and if you have kids, a less stressful schedule. I can’t believe that school starts back in just 2 weeks!
How about these cute critters? Aren’t they just adorable? It was so much fun partnering with Wilton on this cupcake project.
Bunnies, badgers and bears, oh my! I really enjoyed cooking up these whimsical little creatures.
Wilton DIY-Lish Cute Critters Decorating Kit
All the decorations I needed to make them came with this convenient kit by Wilton called the DIY-Lish Cute Critters Decorating Kit, available on Wilton.com or your local department store cake decorating section that carries Wilton brands such as Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.
How to Make DIY Cute Critters Cupcakes
Step 1: For the cupcake base, I simply made a batch of brownies using a mix and whipped up my favorite buttercream frosting (recipe below). I cut the brownies into circles using the cookie cutter that came with the Wilton DIY-Lish Cute Critters kit. Then added frosting.
Decorating with Fondant
Step 2: The next step was the best part! I rolled out the various colors of fondant and cut out the animal faces. I used a bit of vegetable shortening on my fingers and on my counter to keep the fondant from sticking.
I used just a little bit of water to “glue” the fondant facial features on the cupcakes.
Getting Creative with Fondant
After I made some bunnies, badgers and bears, I decided to get creative and make another animal – (my personal favorite) a kitten!
Aren’t they darling? I think the kittens are my favorite. We are big cat lovers at my house.
Fun to Make, DIY-Lish to Eat
Creating these DIY Cute Critters Cupcakes was so much fun! As I was making them and taking photos, my son kept asking me, can I have one mom? I had to keep saying, “not yet”! So he would wait awhile, then come back and ask again. Sometimes it takes some time for me to get the photographs done. I made him wait until the next day because I wanted to take more photos in the morning. So he FINALLY got to eat one today and he was SO happy! He loved them. And so did my husband! My husband said they were the best ever. Rave reviews all around!
Find the recipe for these cupcakes below. Let me know if you try them. Post a photo on Instagram and tag @momlovesbaking ! I love to see what you make from my blog!
Which animal is your favorite? Let me know in the comments.
DIY Cute Critters Cupcakes
- 1 Wilton DIY-lish Cute Critters Decorating Kit
- 1 (18.4 oz.) brownie mix of your choice, prepared according to package instructions (I used Pillsbury)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
For the brownies
- Prepare brownie mix according to package instructions and bake in a 13"x9" pan. Let cool.
For the frosting
- For the buttercream frosting: Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. With mixer on low, gradually add powdered sugar and milk (or water). Once it's combined, turn mixer to medium and beat for 3 minutes. Set aside.
For the cute critter assembly/decorations
- Use the round cutter from the Wilton DIY-lish Cute Critters Decorating Kit to cut brownie circles. You should have 12 total. Save leftover brownie pieces for later.
- Frost each brownie with buttercream frosting.
- Follow instructions to decorate the brownies with the Wilton DIY-lish Cute Critters Decorating Kit.
- Note: Frost extra brownie pieces to enjoy as a snack.
Don’t Forget to Pin on Pinterest!
You might also like:
Baseball Cupcakes – I made these cute Baseball Cupcakes for the boys at their last game the other day. I used a funfetti cake mix for the cupcakes and my homemade buttercream for the frosting. Click here for the recipe.