Nana’s Easy and Delicious Meatloaf Recipe is a post by MY mom, Jane Scott .
Meatloaf is a favorite of my husband Gordon, easy to make, and a staple at our house. Every time we have it Gordon always says, “Don’t let your meat loaf.” Yeah, he has the old family jokes that he just has to say. We like it because we can have it as a main course for dinner or as hot meatloaf sandwiches the next day for lunch using the leftover meatloaf.
I was telling my daughter today that I make it a bit different as I add gluten free oatmeal, poultry seasoning, ketchup on top decorated with sliced green olives added to the top of the loaf. She suggested that I share my recipe on Mom Loves Baking.
The ingredients are basic and what most folks have on hand. I don’t measure anything actually but add the ingredients judging by sight like 10 shakes of this and that. But for this site I’ve included measurements for your convenience.
If your children don’t like green olives, just use them as a decorative top as you can pick them off their slices of meatloaf and thus don’t add into the meatloaf as you’re mixing it. Some folks are queasy about cooked green stuff so you can buy your chopped onion without the green peppers or celery. Or do as I do sometimes and put the green chopped vegetables in the Vita-Mix and almost liquify them.
Here’s where you can find the Vita-Mix (a super powerful blender) on Amazon (affiliate):
(Note: I’ve had my Vita-Mix for 10 years and it’s still going strong. One of my FAVORITE appliances.)
You can use 1/2 tsp. of sage if you don’t have poultry seasoning on hand. Get the full recipe below.
Serve the meatloaf with fresh green beans and steamed red potatoes with melted butter & chopped parsley. It makes a delicious meal to serve your family or at a dinner party.
I hope you enjoy Nana’s Easy and Delicious Meatloaf Recipe!
Nana's Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 package organic ground beef (1.34 lbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning (may substitute sage)
- 1-2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 10-12 green olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, celery, & green peppers (1/2 cup total of the 3 veggies)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup gluten free oatmeal
- 1/4 cup ketchup (for topping) (or more if you wish)
- 8 green olives, sliced (slice each olive into 3 sections for top of meatloaf)
- I start with a big bowl and spread out the ground beef around the bottom and sides of the bowl. Then I add the dry seasonings and the worcestershire and mix by hand literally getting my hands on the meat. Next I add the chopped vegetables and olives mixing that by hand as well. I beat the egg and add that in; then add the oatmeal. I mix by hand ‘til all the ingredients are blended.
- I add the mixed meat, seasonings, and vegetables to a greased glass loaf pan shaping it in on sides. Last I add enough ketchup to cover the top surface of the meatloaf spreading it over the top with my fingers. Then I arrange the sliced olives on the top of the ketchup for a decorative topping. Bake for an hour at 350 degrees. Cool, pour off excess fat and you’re ready to serve your meat before it has time to loaf.
You might also like this Quick and Easy Chili
Or maybe you would like these Sloppy Joe’s with Homemade Buns
If you enjoyed this recipe, use the image below to pin it on Pinterest!