This One Bowl Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Bites Recipe makes rich vegan chocolate cupcakes topped with fudgy chocolate frosting.
So easy to make in just one bowl and naturally gluten free, no eggs, and no dairy! Topped with a lush dairy free chocolate ganache!
Why I love these gluten free vegan cake bites
• It's so easy! This decadent cake comes together in one bowl. Some people even call it a one-bowl chocolate cake.
• If you follow a vegan or gluten-free diet, this is a tasty recipe option for you. You're going to love these cake bites!
• I'm a chocolate lover and this recipe delivers a rich, satisfying chocolate taste!
• The size is just adorable. These mini cakes or cake bites are perfect to serve at a party.
• They're so delicious that you won't even notice that they're gluten free AND vegan.
• Adding the vegan chocolate ganache on top is a great choice but completely optional. They're yummy with or without the icing added.
• Gluten-free baking can be tricky but this is a really good recipe that's easy to make and the cake bites taste great!
What You Need
Gluten Free Flour - Use your favorite brand. Bob's Red Mill and King Arthur Flour are both good brands of gluten free flours. There are a lot of different gluten-free flour blends available on the market.
Flax Egg - Mix 1 tablespoon flax with 3 tablespoons of water to make flax egg. Another option is to use egg replacer. If you can have regular eggs, you can use 1 large egg at room temperature instead of the flax egg.
Vegetable Oil - Use any mild tasting oil that you prefer. I like avocado oil or light olive oil. You could also use coconut oil but keep in mind it will add a slight coconut flavor. Canola oil is another option.
Plant Based Milk - Try your favorite dairy-free milk such as almond milk, coconut milk or cashew milk. Check out the non-dairy milk aisle at your local grocery store for more options.
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: The type of cocoa powder I use is Nestle cocoa which is a natural processed powder. If you want a darker color, use Dutch process cocoa powder. If you prefer dark chocolate, use dark cocoa powder. Find these at your local grocery store.
How to make vegan chocolate cake bites
• Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a mini cupcake pan. Set aside.
• Mix 1 tablespoon flax with 3 tablespoons of water to make flax egg, set aside.
• In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add wet ingredients: milk, oil and vanilla. Use an electric mixer and beat on low until ingredients are just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Add flax egg and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
• Fill mini cupcake pan ⅔ full with cake batter. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake bite comes out clean.
• Cool cake bites in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cake bites from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
• If desired, top with Vegan Chocolate Ganache: Melt 6 ounces dairy free chocolate chips according to• package instructions. Add room temperature thick coconut milk. Stir or whisk gently to combine cream and chocolate.
• Scroll to the bottom of the page for the full recipe card.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make a flax egg? Mix 1 tablespoon flax with 3 tablespoons of water to make flax egg, set aside.
Why choose a one-bowl recipe for vegan gluten-free chocolate cake bites? One-bowl recipes are terrific because of their simplicity and convenience. They minimize cleanup and make the baking process more accessible, even for those with dietary restrictions.
What makes these cake bites suitable for vegans and those with gluten sensitivities? These cake bites are vegan and gluten-free because they use plant-based ingredients and gluten-free flour alternatives. So if you have specific dietary restrictions, you can actually enjoy a delicious treat.
Can I use regular flour instead of gluten-free flour in this recipe? While the recipe is designed to be gluten-free, you can experiment with regular all purpose flour if you don't have gluten sensitivities. Keep in mind that the texture and consistency may vary.
Are there specific brands of gluten-free flour or vegan substitutes that work best in this recipe? This is completely up to you, but we do recommend using high-quality gluten-free flour and reliable vegan substitutes for the best results. Experimentation may be needed based on personal preferences.
How can I make these cake bites without using refined sugar? You can substitute coconut sugar in a 1:1 ration if you prefer. It tastes a little bit like brown sugar. I would not recommend liquid sweeteners for this recipe as it would change the consistency of the cake batter.
Can I add other flavors to these chocolate cake bites, like coffee or mint? Absolutely! Once you've mastered the base recipe, feel free to experiment with additional flavors like
How long do these cake bites typically take to bake, and at what temperature? Baking time is 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them to prevent overbaking.
Can I make these cake bites in advance, and how should I store them? Yes, you can make them in advance. Store the cake bites in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two. For longer storage, consider refrigerating or freezing.
Can I substitute ingredients like almond flour or coconut flour in this recipe? Substituting flours can alter the texture. It's best to follow the recipe as closely as possible. If you want to experiment with different flours, do so gradually and be prepared for potential texture changes.
Follow the Recipe Precisely: Especially when dealing with gluten-free and vegan recipes, proportions matter. Stick to the specified measurements to ensure the right texture and flavor.
Use High-Quality Ingredients: Since this recipe is likely relying on a limited number of ingredients, make sure they are fresh and of high quality for the best flavor.
Ensure Ingredients are at Room Temperature: This can help with the incorporation of ingredients and create a smoother batter.
Sift Dry Ingredients: If the recipe involves flour or cocoa powder, sift them to remove lumps and ensure even distribution in the batter.
Don't Overmix the Batter: Overmixing can lead to a dense texture. Mix until just combined to achieve a tender and light result.
Preheat the Oven: Make sure the oven is fully preheated before putting the cake bites in. This ensures even baking.
Use an Ice Cream Scoop for Uniform Size: Using an ice cream scoop can help ensure that your cake bites are a consistent size, which is important for even baking.
Check for Doneness: Since these are bites, they might bake faster than a full-sized cake. Keep a close eye and perform the toothpick test to check for doneness.
Allow to Cool Completely: Let the cake bites cool completely before attempting to remove them from the pan. This helps them set and ensures they hold their shape.
Experiment with Toppings: Consider adding toppings like melted chocolate, shredded coconut, or chopped nuts for extra flavor and texture.
Storage Tips: Store the cake bites in an airtight container to maintain freshness. If you're not consuming them immediately, refrigerate or freeze for longer shelf life.
Personalize the Recipe: Once you've mastered the basic recipe, feel free to experiment with additional flavors or ingredients to suit your taste preferences.
One Bowl Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Bites Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a mini cupcake pan. Set aside.
- Mix 1 tablespoon flax with 3 tablespoons of water to make flax egg, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add milk, oil and vanilla. Use an electric mixer and beat on low until ingredients are just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Add flax egg and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Fill mini cupcake pan ⅔ full. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake bite comes out clean.
- Cool cake bites in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cake bites from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Top with vegan chocolate ganache, raspberries and mint. Any fruit would be delicious!