Do you want to know how to make rice krispie treats original recipe?
I've got you covered, plus some helpful hints to make them turn out PERFECTLY every time!
Looking for more rice krispie treat dessert recipes? Here are a few of my faves: Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats, Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispy Hearts, and Strawberry Rice Krispies Cake.
Why I love these delicious treats
• I've loved this classic dessert for as long as I can remember. I mean, who doesn't love rice krispie treats?
• It's a fun treat that's so easy to make and you don't have to turn on the oven. Ready in 20 minutes!
• Guaranteed best rice krispie treat recipe ever, I’ll put money on it.
• Chewy and gooey, they’re a perfect treat and a great addition to lunch boxes for kids and adults alike!
• These cereal treats are perfect for feeding a crowd and taking to a holiday celebration. Your party guests will love them!
• Whether you spell it as rice krispie treats, rice krispy treats, or rice crispy treats, I guarantee these are the best.
What you need
• Rice Krispies Cereal - You don't have to use the name brand. Try your local grocery store brand and save some money.
• Marshmallows - It is important to use the original sized marshmallows for this recipe (not the mini marshmallows). The mini marshmallows can burn quickly and make your rice krispie treats too hard.
• Butter - We used unsalted butter. If you're feeling fancy, try Kerry Gold Irish butter. I tried it for this batch of rice krispie treats and they tasted extra special and buttery. Use salted butter for added flavor, if desired.
• Vanilla Extract - You can add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the melted marshmallow mixture if you wish, for added flavor.
How to make rice Krispie Treats original recipe
1) Use shortening, butter or cooking spray to grease a 13x9 baking dish or pan really well. Set prepared pan aside. Also grease a large heavy saucepan (make sure to grease up the sides too). Place 6 tablespoons of butter in the greased saucepan and let it melt over low heat. Add marshmallows to melted butter and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2) Add krispie cereal to marshmallow mixture. Stir until completely combined. Pour cereal mixture into prepared baking dish. Using a buttered spoon, press mixture into pan in an even layer. Let cool.
3) Then invert onto a large cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into 15 squares. Wrap each square individually with plastic wrap and place in large ziploc bag. Perfect for you and your family to grab and go. They will keep in a sealed ziploc bag or airtight container for 5-7 days.
• This is actually a double batch of the original recipe which makes the rice krispie bars extra thick!
• Grease EVERYTHING that will come in contact with the rice krispie mixture. Grease the large sauce pan before melting butter and marshmallows. Grease the 13x9 pan and also grease the spoon you mix with and use to scoop into pan.
• Use salted butter for added flavor, if desired.
• Do not use a rubber spatula to stir because it might melt. (My spatula actually did melt when I was making the first batch.) I recommend using a wooden spoon instead.
• This delicious dessert is easy to make in different flavors. Add chopped nuts, M&Ms, chocolate or butterscotch chips, Reese’s Pieces, or crushed candy canes for a new twist on an old favorite! Or you could drizzle the top with melted chocolate.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Why do Rice Crispy Treats get hard? This is a very common problem when making rice krispie treats from scratch. The key to getting soft treats is to use low heat (not high heat)!. Use low heat when melting the butter and keep it on low when mixing in the marshmallows.
• Can you use old marshmallows for rice crispy treats? Lack of moisture means old marshmallows don't melt properly. Instead, the dehydrated marshmallows congeal into a thick mass, says Eating Expired. When making Rice Krispies treats, always opt for fresh marshmallows.
• Do homemade Rice Krispie Treats go bad? Rice Krispie Treats will stay crispy and fresh, if stored in an airtight container or zip-top bag at room temperature, for up to a week.
• Can I freeze homemade Rice Krispie Treats? If you want to store them for longer than two days, try freezing them! To freeze rice krispies, allow them to cool completely and cut them into squares. Wrap each square in a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper and place them in a gallon freezer bag.
Love this recipe? If you try it, be sure to tag me on @Instagram! You can also find me on Pinterest, YouTube and Facebook.
Rice Krispie Treats Original Recipe
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 80 large marshmallows (we used almost two bags)
- 12 cups rice krispies cereal
- Use shortening or butter to grease a 13x9 pan really well. Set aside. Also grease a large heavy saucepan (make sure to grease up the sides too). Place 6 tablespoons of butter in the greased saucepan and let it melt over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add rice krispies cereal. Stir until completely combined. Pour into prepared pan. Using a buttered spoon, evenly press mixture into pan. Let cool.
- Then invert onto a large cutting board. Cut into 15 squares. Wrap each square individually with plastic wrap and place in large ziploc bag. Perfect for you and your family to grab and go. They will keep in airtight container for up to a week.
Leave a Reply