Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats are chocolate rice krispies treats with melted chocolate, topped with classic rice krispies treats, white chocolate and crushed candy canes. So many delicious layers in these holiday bars. Tastes like peppermint bark with an extra crunch!
Peppermint is a classic holiday dessert. Nothing feels and looks more festive! You might also like Easy Peppermint Bark Brownies.
What are Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats?
A fun mash-up of two of my favorite desserts, peppermint bark and Rice Krispies Treats. And what an amazing flavor combination it is! Creamy chocolate peppermint goodness meets that classic crunch from everyone's favorite cereal bars. The result: pure Heaven!
Rice krispies are great when you are gluten-free. I also tried adding a peppermint bark topping to brownies.
What do I need to make these treats?
This recipe uses both original and chocolate krispies. I love this approach because it adds an extra layer for visual interest. Sometimes there are holiday colored ones and you could use those for one of the layers. You can also stick with a full batch of whichever type is your favorite if you don't need the layers.
How to Make Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats
This dessert is very simple to make.
- Start by making a half batch of chocolate rice krispies treats and press into a greased 13"x9" pan. Spread with melted semi-sweet chocolate chips. Refrigerate.
2) Meanwhile, mash up candy canes by putting them in a sealed zip-top plastic bag and pound with a rolling pin or unopened can of soup.
3) Next, remove the pan from the refrigerator. Make a half batch of plain rice krispies treats. Carefully press onto the chocolate layer. Spread with melted white chocolate chips. Sprinkle with chopped candy canes.
4) Let them cool and set for about 1 hour. Slice into bars and serve.
What are your favorite holiday treats?
Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats would be terrific for a holiday party or family gathering. I'm sure Santa would be more than happy to have a few bites before dashing off to his next chimney.
You might also like...
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Cookies
Mint Chocolate French Macarons
Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows divided
- 3 cups cocoa rice krispies cereal
- ½ teaspoon mint flavoring
- 3 cups plain rice krispies cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips melted
- 3 cups white chocolate chips melted
- 1 cup chopped candy canes
- Grease a 13"x9" baking pan. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and 2 cups miniature marshmallows on medium heat. As soon as the marshmallows have melted, stir in mint flavoring, then remove from heat and stir in the cocoa rice krispies cereal. Press into prepared pan. Pour melted semi-sweet chocolate chips over cereal and spread to make a smooth layer. Place in refrigerator. Repeat this process with the plain rice krispies cereal layer (melt remaining butter/marshmallows, add cereal, stir, and spread over chilled chocolate layer.) Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place candy canes in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal the bag and pound with rolling pin or unopened soup can.
- Spread melted white chocolate over Rice Krispies Treats and sprinkle with chopped candy canes. Let set for about 1 hour. Slice into bars.
More Cookies You’ll Love
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Double Delight Peanut Butter Cookies
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.
Where do you put the mint flavoring? I don't see in the recipe.
Lise Ode says
Hi Connie, Thank you for your question. You would add the mint flavoring to the melted butter and marshmallows right before adding the chocolate rice krispies cereal. Enjoy!
Melissa Howell says
These would be such fun, unique treats to give to the neighbors at Christmas! I've never seen anything like this before!
Mom Loves Baking says
That's a good idea, Melissa! Thank you for sharing. 🙂
Megan @ MegUnprocessed says
This is creative!
What a great combination! I'm sure the layers of chocolate take this treat to another level! (client)
Mom Loves Baking says
Thanks, Denise! Enjoy! 🙂