A retro no-bake dessert from my grandmother's recipe box, this Rainbow Crown Jewel Cake (a.k.a. Broken Glass Cake or Prism Cake) is a heavenly creamy mixture filled with color! Scroll down to see the yellowed newspaper clipping I found.
If you love this retro dessert, you will also love Lemon Chiffon Pie. Or if it's more Summer dessert recipes you're looking for try No-Bake Key Lime Pie or Sugar Free Strawberry Pie.
Why I love this crown jewel dessert
• Nostalgic desserts are my favorite. And this delicious dessert is so simple to make.
• Jello and whipped cream is total comfort food. And I absolutely LOVE the rainbow colors!
• So light and refreshing with a fruity pineapple flavor. Perfect for a hot Summer day.
• You don't have to turn on the oven to make this delicious spectacular dessert. It's no-bake baby!
What you need
Heavy Whipping Cream - Make sure you get heavy whipping cream. Not half-n-half. When you're whipping the cream, be careful not to overbeat or it will turn to butter! You could substitute Cool Whip or frozen whipped topping if you like. Use 8 ounces for the filling and 4 ounces for the garnish.
Sugar - This recipe calls for ¼ cup granulated sugar which you add to the pineapple juice. I think it would be fine to omit this if you don't want it to be too sweet.
Flavored Gelatin - Any brand of flavored gelatin will work. I used Jello brand but you could also use a generic grocery brand. Try different flavors if you wish. You could even substitute sugar free Jello, if desired.
Graham Cracker Crumbs - Substitute sugar free cookies (crushed) if you want to make this a sugar free dessert. OR try gluten free cookies. I actually used gluten free vanilla wafers.
how to make this recipe
- Prepare the first three packages of gelatin separately, using 1 cup hot water and ½ cup cold water for each. You will need a square pan for each flavor of gelatin.
- Pour into separate 8x8x2-inch square pans and chill until firm.
- Mix crumbs with melted butter. Press crumb mixture smoothly over bottom of 9-inch spring-form pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine 1 cup pineapple juice and sugar and heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and dissolve lemon gelatin in hot liquid; add remaining ½ cup cold water. Chill until just syrupy. Whip the 2 cups cream and pour into it the syrupy lemon-flavored gelatin.
5. Cut the firm orange, cherry and lime gelatin into cubes about ½ inch square. Do it this way: dip sharp knife in hot water after each cut. Run hot knife around edge of tray. Lift out gelatin with wide spatula, hot water dipped. The ½ inch cubes fall apart easily, each a perfect cube. Fold gelatin cubes or crown jewels into whipped-cream mixture.
6. Pour into prepared crust (sprayed with cooking spray just in case). Chill 8 hours in refrigerator. Garnish with more whipped cream (I beat 1 cup cream with ¼ cup powdered sugar.)
• Pipe swirls of extra whipped cream on top of cake using using a pastry bag fitted with a 1M tip.
• For a different look, you can frost the top and sides of dessert with the whipped cream or Cool Whip.
• Garnish cake with fresh berries such as sliced strawberries.
• If you want to add some protein to this dessert, try stirring in a few scoops of collagen powder into the filling mixture. Add the amount you prefer. I like using Vital Proteins Collagen Powder.
Frequently asked questions
How do I store my no bake Jello cake? Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Store leftover in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. (You don't have to cover it.)
Is it ok to freeze this cake? No, it is not recommended as the crust tends to get soggy when thawed.
Can I make this type of cake ahead of time? You can make it the day before serving for best results, but keep in mind that it tastes the freshest the first two days.
Can I use a different gelatin flavor? Absolutely! Use whatever flavors you would like such as peach, lemon, strawberry, or raspberry.
Love this recipe? If you try it, be sure to tag me on @Instagram! You can also find me on Pinterest, YouTube and Facebook.
Rainbow Crown Jewel Cake
- 1 package orange-flavored gelatin
- 1 package cherry-flavored gelatin
- 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 package lemon-flavored gelatin
- 1 ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs We used gluten free vanilla wafer crumbs.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (optional) Sweetened with ¼ cup powdered sugar.
- Prepare the first three packages of gelatin separately, using 1 cup hot water and ½ cup cold water for each. Pour into separate 8x8x2-inch pans and chill until firm.
- Mix crumbs with melted butter. Press crumb mixture smoothly over bottom of a 9-inch spring-form pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine pineapple juice and sugar and heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and dissolve lemon gelatin in hot liquid; add remaining ½ cup cold water. Chill until just syrupy. Whip the 2 cups cream and pour into it the syrupy lemon-flavored gelatin.
- Cut the firm orange, cherry and lime gelatin into cubes about ½ inch square. Do it this way: dip sharp knife after each cut. Run hot knife around edge of tray. Lift out gelatin with wide spatula, hot water dipped. The pieces fall apart easily, each a perfect cube. Fold into whipped-cream mixture, then pour into prepared crust.
- Chill 8 hours in refrigerator. Before serving remove sides of pan only. If desired, frost sides of cake with 1 cup cream, whipped and sweetened. Or use a pastry bag with 1M tip to pipe swirls around top of cake.
Michele LeGier Running says
awesome recipe. used to make this all the time. your printed recipe left out the lemon gelatin in list of ingredients. I am sure most people will realize, but just in case. <3
Lise Ode says
OH my gosh, thank you so much, Michele! xo, Lise
Easy & de-lish!