This Dairy Free No Bake Key Lime Yogurt Pie Recipe is a delicious dairy free, gluten free alternative to the classic key lime pie dessert.
THE BEST DAIRY FREE NO BAKE KEY LIME YOGURT PIE
WHY I LOVE THIS EASY KEY LIME PIE RECIPE
- Dairy Free Yogurt No Bake Key Lime Pie recipe is a perfect dessert for my daughter, Savannah, since she has Hashimoto's and can't have dairy or gluten.
- Making this No Bake Pie recipe is super simple. You don't even have to turn on the oven.
- The simple ingredients are authentic compared to a traditional key lime pie recipes.
- It tastes like a tropical paradise and is the perfect Summer dessert!
- I prefer it to traditional key lime pie because it's light and refreshing.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Yogurt - I used So Delicious dairy-free key lime coconut yogurt. But you can also use a greek yogurt alternative!
- Unflavored Gelatin - Unflavored gelatin gives body and texture and thickens the yogurt. The powder needs to be softened in cold water for about three minutes before being added to a hot liquid.
- Lime Juice & Lime Zest - Use actual key limes for extra key lime flavor! If you don't have fresh lime juice, find the bottled key lime juice at your local grocery store.
- Graham Cracker Pie Crust - You can use a store-bought crust (I used a gluten free graham cracker crust to keep the recipe gluten free).
- Dairy Free Whipped Topping - I used a dairy free coconut based whipped topping, but there are other great option for dairy free available. You could also make your own homemade whipped cream with this recipe from Go Dairy Free
HOW TO MAKE TODAY'S RECIPE
Note: Printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post
- Start by adding some water and fresh key lime juice to a small saucepan.
- Sprinkle in some unflavored gelatin and let it hang out for about 5 minutes.
- Add a little bit of sugar and a tiny bit of salt. Place on medium low heat and stir constantly until all is dissolved. Let cool slightly.
- Next, pour gelatin mixture in a medium bowl. Whisk in 3 cartons of dairy free yogurt and half a carton of dairy free whipped topping. I added a little bit of green food coloring to the creamy filling, but this step is optional.
- Pour key lime pie filling into your prepared graham cracker crust and chill for about 4 hours.
- Garnish with more dairy free whipped topping, lime zest, lime slices and cherries on top of the pie. And voila! Your No Bake Key Lime Yogurt Pie is ready to serve.
- If the graham cracker pie crust sticks to pie pan when removing wedges, place pie plate in another pan filled with 1 inch deep hot tap water 30-60 seconds or until wedges can be removed easily.
- I recommend using fresh key limes or bottled key lime juice. If you can't find either, go ahead and use regular fresh limes or bottled regular lime juice.
- Though the recipe does call for a store-bought graham cracker crust, you can also make a homemade graham cracker crust yourself. Check out this easy recipe from Snitzy Kitchen The only caveat is the recipe would no longer be no bake easy recipe.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Is this easy dessert Gluten Free? Yes! The graham cracker crust we used is gluten free and the other ingredients are dairy free.
- How do I store this? Keep leftovers covered in the fridge for 1-2 days. To freeze the dairy free pie, divide it into slices, wrap tightly, and freeze for up to 1 month.
- What knife should I use to cut the pie cleanly? I got the best results with a warm paring knife (run it under some warm water first to warm it up).
Do you bake around allergies? YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE RECIPES:
No Bake Key Lime Yogurt Pie
- 2 limes
- 8-10 Maraschino cherries
- Pour water and key lime juice into a small saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over liquid and let it sit for 5 minutes. Add sugar and salt. Place pan over medium low heat and stir until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour gelatin mixture into a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk in the yogurt and one half of the container of whipped topping until smooth. Stir in food coloring, if desired. Pour into crust and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve with more whipped topping, grated lime zest, lime slices and cherries on top.
- Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Text from my original post back on Aug. 25, 2017:
And just like that, Summer is over and the kids are back in school! They had gotten used to sort of snacking whenever they were hungry during the Summer months, but now that they're on a stricter schedule, they're super hungry when they get home from school. And they're always in the mood for a treat.
No Bake Key Lime Yogurt Pie is perfect for my daughter, Savannah, since she has Hashimotos and can't have dairy or gluten. I used a new flavor of coconut yogurt I found for her, key lime. I knew she'd be excited to try it and even better when it's in a pie!