All the flavors of the classic cake in a delicious dessert pizza.
This is a fun dessert mash-up. I've been thinking about it for awhile but wasn't sure it would work. I started dreaming up crazy dessert ideas when I first entered the Pillsbury Bake-Off. I think of an idea and look online to see if it's been done. More times than not, the "fabulous" ideas I come up with have already been made a thousand times. But once in awhile, I'll think of something that no one has tried.
Pineapple Upside-Down Pizza tastes a lot like the cake version, but a lot easier to make. The pizza crust takes the place of the cake batter, so you can put it together really quickly!
Just 5 ingredients. Yay! I love recipe like this!
First you butter a 12-inch cake pan and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Add fruit in the famous pineapple upside-down kind of a way.
Top with pizza dough and brush with melted butter.
Bake for 20 minutes at 400°F.
Cool slightly and invert onto a 12-inch pizza pan.
Slice it up just like a pizza pie! Serve and enjoy! It would be even better with vanilla ice cream.
Pineapple Upside-Down Pizza
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened and divided
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 10 pineapple slices drained well
- 30 maraschino cherries drained well
- 1 can Pillsbury refrigerated classic pizza crust 13.8 oz.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Use fingers to rub 4 tablespoons of the butter into the bottom and slightly up sides of a 12-inch round cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar on top. Make sure the fruit is completely drained (I put them on paper towels to remove excess liquid). Arrange pineapples and cherries in a pineapple upside-down kind of way on top of sugar (cherries inside pineapple holes and in between). Remove pizza dough from package and place on top of fruit. You will have to cut the edges and place on sides to create a circle. Gently pinch the dough together, where needed. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and brush onto dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let it cool for about 10 minutes, then invert onto a 12-inch pizza pan. Slice and serve immediately. Serve with ice cream, if desired.