This Easy Flag Cake Recipe is a no-bake dessert with layers of pound cake, vanilla pudding, and Cool Whip with a berry flag design on top of cake.
With blueberries and raspberries, it's the perfect Summer dessert and a real crowd pleaser!
Easy Flag Cake Recipe
Hope you enjoy this American Flag Cake Recipe! Looking for more patriotic dessert ideas?
Why I love this festive flag cake
• The best part is this light and fluffy cake is made without turning on the oven!
• It's semi-homemade and super easy, made with frozen pound cake, Cool Whip and fresh fruit!
• Layers of homemade custard, sherry infused pound cake, strawberry glaze, fresh berries and lots of Cool Whip.
• This easy red, white and blue delicious dessert comes together in minutes with just a few ingredients.
• Great way to use those Summer berries!
• Topped with fresh raspberries and blueberries in a flag pattern to make a patriotic dessert!
• It's the perfect fourth of July cake and my favorite cake in the Summer!
What you need
• Pound Cake - We used the pre-made frozen pound cake by Sara Lee. Find it in the freezer section near the ice cream at most grocery stores.
Get the 16 ounce and use the entire cake. Angel food cake would also work.
• Frozen Whipped Topping or Cool Whip - Since this is a frozen item, you will need to thaw it out to room temperature before using in this recipe.
If you prefer fresh whipped cream, go for it! Use 16 ounces of heavy whipping cream in the bowl of an electric mixer, beaten with ¼ cup of powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
• Pudding - This dessert calls for using homemade pudding (full recipe below). If you prefer using instant pudding, that will work just fine.
Simply use a small package of vanilla instant pudding, prepared according to package instructions.
• Cream Sherry - If you don't want to have any liquor in your easy flag cake, you can substitute orange juice or water.
How to make this recipe
1. First thing, start by making a strawberry glaze with frozen sweetened strawberries (thawed) and cornstarch, heated until thickened in a heavy saucepan (I really like the Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron 5.25 qt). Add 1 tablespoon of cream sherry (if desired). Set aside.
2. Then make your homemade custard. If you were in a hurry you could use instant vanilla pudding or white chocolate pudding.
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, dash of salt, egg yolks and milk. Heat while stirring constantly until thick, about 10 minutes. Let it cool.
4. Cover bottom of a glass 13 x9-inch dish with cooled custard. Make it an even layer.
5. Slice up frozen pound cake (thawed) and brush with cream sherry (if desired). Layer cake slices over the custard.
6. Spread strawberry glaze over cake. Add half of the fresh berries. Using and offset spatula, spread Cool Whip (which will be the white stripes) over berries. Then create your berry flag on top of the cake with rows of raspberries for the red stripes and fresh blueberries for the stars.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of baking dish to use? Either a 3-quart glass 13x9 casserole dish or a 13x9 baking pan would be fine. The goal is to use a rectangle dish to replicate the shape of a flag.
How do I store easy flag cake? Store covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Can I use different berries? Yes, you can substitute fresh strawberries or use a combination of both. Don't use frozen berries for the flag design though as they will be too mushy.
How do you slice strawberries for the American flag? You can either make the stripes by cutting your strawberries simply in half or you can thinly slice them and lay them on their side.
What is a good substitute for Cool Whip? Heavy Whipping Cream whipped (using a hand mixer) to stiff peaks with a little sugar and vanilla extract is your best Cool Whip substitute.
Will this recipe work with angel food cake? Yes, instead of pound cake, you can substitute store bought angel food cake from your grocery store bakery.
• Chill It - This is an icebox cake and should be served chilled and stored in the refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap.
• Dry the Berries - Be sure your fruit is dry before adding it to the cake.
• Make it in a trifle dish - You could cut the cake into cubes and layer in a traditional trifle dish or clear glass bowl. Spread half the pudding mixture in bottom, add half the cake, half the berry mixture, plus berries and half the Cool Whip. Repeat, then finish with Cool whip and your berry flag decoration.
• Best on First Day - This delicious dessert tastes the best on the first day because the fruit can sweat and the flag design doesn't look as fresh.
• Cream Sherry Substitute - For a little extra flavor, try an orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier instead of Cream Sherry, brushed on the pound cake. Or if you don't want alcohol, use orange juice instead.
Feeds a crowd - This recipe makes a large 9×13″ cake and serves 24. The perfect addition to bring it along to all of your potlucks, summer parties and barbecues!
Easy Flag Cake Recipe
- 16 ounces frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅓ cup cream sherry plus 1 tablespoon, divided or substitute orange juice
- ¾ cup sugar divided
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 eggs separated
- 2 cups milk
- 16 ounces frozen pound cake, thawed & sliced I used Sara Lee Family Size
- 16 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed I used Cool Whip
- 1 pint fresh blueberries divided
- 12 ounces fresh raspberries, divided
- Scoop out about ½ cup of juice from the frozen strawberries (thawed). Stir in the cornstarch. Pour into a saucepan with the rest of the strawberries. Heat on the stove on medium high until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the cream sherry (or substitute orange juice). Set aside to cool.
- Mix ½ cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Cover with plastic wrap touching custard. Let it cool in refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Pour cooled custard in bottom of 13x9 glass casserole dish. Place pound cake slices on top of custard. Brush remaining ⅓ cup of cream sherry onto cake slices. Scoop spoonfuls of cooled strawberry mixture on top of cake, distributing evenly. Add 1 cup of blueberries and 1 cup of raspberries.
- Spread whipped topping over berries. Create a flag decoration with the remaining berries. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.