Buttercream Pound Cake won the 19th Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1968. Recipe on Pillsbury.com by Phyllis Lidert of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Start by greasing and flouring the pan. I used a Bundt pan and since it's fluted, cake can stick if it's not prepared properly. I used shortening and a lot of it, then coated the pan with flour.
Beat the butter until light and fluffly.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until well combined. At medium speed, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Eggs should be at room temperature (so important when baking cakes). Beat in lemon peel and lemon juice. Then gradually add the flour and baking powder with the mixer on low. Blend well.
Take out 3 cups of the batter and mix in the poppy seed filling.
Add half of the plain batter to the prepared pan. Then spoon in the poppyseed batter. Top with remaining plain batter.
Bake the cake at 350°F. for about 1 ½ hours or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. While it's baking, you can make the glaze which is just powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
I thought it looked very pretty with the rose in the middle.
Buttercream Pound Cake would be the perfect cake for a tea party. The combination of lemon and poppyseed filling is delicious.
Buttercream Pound Cake
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice or milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Beat butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 ½ cups powdered sugar, beating until well combined. At medium speed, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. At low speed, gradually beat in flour and baking powder; blend well.
- In medium bowl, combine 3 cups batter with poppy seed filling; blend well. Spread half of plain batter in bottom of ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Alternately add spoonfuls of poppy seed batter and remaining plain batter.
- Bake at 350°F. for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients, adding enough lemon juice for desired drizzling consistency; blend until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Stay tuned for next week's recipe - Magic Marshmallow Crescent Puffs