This Easy Black Forest Cake Recipe with Chocolate Ganache poured on top is a stunning dessert that combines the classic elements of Black Forest cake with the added richness of a velvety chocolate ganache topping.
Three layers of homemade chocolate sponge cake filled with fresh whipped cream and rich cherry filling. Then drizzled with a divine chocolate ganache which is similar to hot fudge sauce. Fresh whole cherries are the final touch for this gorgeous dessert!
Why i love this Easy Black Forest Cake Recipe
• This Easy Black Forest Cake Recipe with Chocolate Ganache is a quick and easy way to make the traditional German dessert.
• I love that this stunning dessert that combines the classic elements of an authentic Black Forest cake with the added richness of a smooth, velvety chocolate ganache topping.
• Black forest cake or Black Forest Gateau is a classic dessert loved for its combination of chocolate, cherries, and whipped cream. This is an easy version that captures all the flavors of this popular dessert.
• If your family or friends enjoy the taste of black forest cake, having an easy recipe means you can quickly whip it up for gatherings or special occasions without much hassle.
• This delicious cake reminds me of my dad who always loved a good Black Forest Cake.
• Since the sides of the cake aren't frosted, it gives the cake a unique look.
• It might just be the best black forest cake recipe on the internet! And hopefully one of your new favorite desserts!
• Dark chocolate chips - The dark chocolate chips will give the cake a richer flavor, but you could also use semi-sweet chocolate chips (if that's what you have on hand).
• Butter - I always use unsalted butter in all my baking recipes so that I can control the amount of salt that goes into the recipe.
• Almond Flour - Use finely ground almond flour. We used Bob's Red Mill brand.
• Cocoa Powder - It tastes best if you use 100% cocoa powder, Dutch processed because this type of cocoa has a rich, chocolatey flavor.
• Cherry Pie Filling - We used Lucky Leaf premium cherry fruit filling.
• Whipping Cream - I prefer heavy whipping cream.
• Fresh Cherries - I've topped this cake with fresh tart cherries because they are so pretty and delicious. If you can't find fresh cherries at the store, you can substitute maraschino cherries instead for the top decoration of this cake.
• Optional - You can brush the chocolate cake layers with cherry liqueur or cherry syrup, if desired.
• Also optional - Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the whipped cream for added flavor.
How to make Easy Black Forest Cake Recipe with Chocolate Ganache
For the homemade chocolate cake: Grease and line three 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, almond flour and chocolate. Sift dry ingredients - flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cocoa and salt into the cream mixture. Fold flour mixture in slowly and stir in boiling water. Spread cake batter evenly in prepared pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
For the filling: First make homemade whipped cream. In a large mixing bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Not stiff peaks because that makes the cream too thick. Spread first cake layer with whipped cream then top with cherry pie filling. Repeat for second layer. Set aside. Make chocolate ganache: Place 1 cup chocolate chips in bowl. Heat whipping cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir until smooth. Add final cake layer and drizzle with about ½ cup of chocolate ganache. Top with fresh cherries. Slice and serve with the remaining ganache.
Frequently asked questions
Can I make the chocolate sponge cake layers in advance and freeze them? Absolutely! Baked cake layers can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, then frozen for up to a few weeks. Thaw them at room temperature before assembling the cake.
Is it possible to use cherry liquor in the recipe? Cherry liquor adds a distinct flavor to the cake, but it's optional. If you want a more intense cherry flavor, I prefer a non-alcoholic version by brushing the cake layers with cherry juice or cherry syrup before adding whipped cream. Totally optional.
What can I use instead of whipped cream for the frosting?Traditional black forest cake uses whipped cream, but if you prefer, you can use buttercream frosting, or a non-dairy whipped topping as alternatives.
Can I use a different type of chocolate for the cake layers? While classic black forest cake uses chocolate sponge cake, you can experiment with other chocolate cake recipes or use your favorite chocolate cake mix as a base.
How should I store the black forest cake? Store the cake in the refrigerator due to the whipped cream frosting. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to prevent drying out.
Can I decorate the cake in advance? It's best to assemble and decorate the cake close to the serving time to maintain its freshness. However, you can prepare the individual components (cake layers, whipped cream, cherry filling) ahead and assemble them just before serving.
Can I make a smaller or larger cake using the same recipe? Yes, you can adjust the quantities to make a smaller or larger cake. Use the recipe as a guideline and scale the ingredients accordingly based on your desired cake size.
Why is it called a Black Forest Cake? The Black Forest cake, also known as Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte in German, is named after the Black Forest region (Schwarzwald) in southwestern Germany. The cake originated in this region and has become popular worldwide.
Use Quality Ingredients: Opt for high-quality cocoa powder, good-quality chocolate, fresh cherries on top, and real whipped cream for the best flavor.
Prepare Ingredients in Advance: Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before starting. This helps with even mixing and proper incorporation of ingredients. Except for the whipping cream, it should be cold when you beat it.
Properly Grease and Line Cake Pans: To prevent the cake from sticking to the pans, grease them properly and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
Avoid Overmixing: When combining the dry and wet ingredients, mix until just combined. Overmixing can result in a dense cake instead of a light and airy texture.
Don't Overbake the Cake: Check for doneness a few minutes before the suggested baking time. Overbaking can dry out the cake, affecting its taste and texture.
Allow Cakes to Cool Completely: Before assembling and frosting the cake, make sure the cake layers are completely cooled to prevent melting or sliding of the frosting.
Add Cherry Filling Sparingly: Spread a thin layer of cherry filling between the cake layers to add flavor without making the cake too soggy.
Decorate Just Before Serving: If using fresh cherries on top, add them just before serving to maintain their freshness and appearance.
Refrigerate the Cake: Due to the whipped cream frosting, store the cake in the refrigerator. Cover it loosely to prevent absorbing other flavors while maintaining freshness.
My dad used to buy a black forest cake every year and he would get so excited about it. He was like a kid on Christmas eve. He'd buy it from Mr. Dunderbak's German deli in Tampa, FL. Then drive it up to his parents' house in Dothan, AL. He always made such a big production about getting that cake every year.
Easy Black Forest Cake
For the cake
For the filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can Lucky Leaf Cherry Pie Filling
For the cake
- Grease and line three 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, almond flour and chocolate. Sift flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cocoa and salt into the cream mixture. Fold in slowly and stir in boiling water. Spread batter evenly in prepared pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
For the filling and ganache
- Whip cream until soft peaks form. Spread first cake layer with whipped cream then top with cherry pie filling. Repeat for second layer. Set aside. Make chocolate ganache: Place 1 cup chocolate chips in bowl. Heat whipping cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir until smooth. Add final cake layer and drizzle with about ½ cup of chocolate ganache. Top with fresh cherries. Slice and serve with the remaining ganache. Store the cake in the refrigerator due to the whipped cream frosting. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to prevent drying out.