Hello sweet readers! I feel like I haven’t talked to you guys in awhile. I decided to take a little time off from the blog for Spring Break which was the first week of April. Then we got back and were knee deep in baseball season for our son and soccer season for our daughter which has been a lot of fun. And they’ve also had testing for Georgia milestones for a couple of weeks which means going to bed early and having a big breakfast and a big lunch, prepared by mommy, of course. I guess I just get overwhelmed easily. I haven’t had a whole lot of time to bake but I’m excited to get back to it!
I was back in the kitchen this weekend and I’m super excited about this lovely Strawberry Angel Food Cake. Not only is it a perfect homemade angel food cake with fluffy whipped cream and fresh strawberries, but it’s actually low in calories and low in sugar. But not low in flavor. It’s just so tasty!
Layers of light, airy angel food cake and sweetened whipped cream with naturally sweet and juicy fresh strawberries. Just the right amount of sweet. You’d never know it was a reduced sugar recipe.
I used a combination of real sugar and Powdered Swerve Sweetener for this recipe. (It’s also available as Granular Swerve.)
The first step in this recipe is to beat the egg whites with cream of tartar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
Then gradually add the real sugar (only 1 cup in the entire recipe), until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up as shown in the above photo).
Sift together Swerve sweetener and cake flour into a medium bowl, then sift one fourth of the mixture into the beaten egg whites and fold in gently. Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture by fourths.
Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. (I love that I didn’t have to grease the pan; so much easier.)
Bake at 350°F. for 40-45 minutes, then immediately invert pan and let it cool completely while upside down (sorry I didn’t take a photo of that step).
Loosen sides of cake from pan and remove cake. Isn’t it perfect! Look how beautiful it is. 🙂
Transfer cake to a serving plate and cut horizontally into three layers. Fill the layers with whipped cream which has been sweetened with Swerve, then top each interior layer with sliced fresh strawberries.
Frost the rest of the cake and add more strawberries on top.
Slice and enjoy!
Strawberry Angel Food Cake is a beautiful and delicious cake that would be perfect for Mother’s Day.
Strawberry Angel Food Cake
- For the cake
- 12 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 cup 125g cake flour
- 1 cup 140g powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 cup 190g granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For topping
- 2 cups 473mL whipping cream
- 1/2 cup 70g powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- 1 pint 454g fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift powdered Swerve and flour together into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat, folding remaining flour mixture by fourths.
- Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake on the lowest rack of preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake. Cut cake horizontally two times, creating three cake layers.
- For the topping, beat whipping cream with powdered Swerve and salt (if using). Frost first layer of cake with whipped cream, then add sliced strawberries. Repeat for second layer, then frost the entire cake with whipped cream. Add strawberries on top, if desired. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
3.8 grams of protein, 21.6 net carbs