American Flag Cupcakes are patriotic and delicious vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting and a flag design made of blueberry stars and fruit roll-up stripes. Perfect for Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day or any Patriotic themed party!
If you're looking for more American themed desserts, try American Flag Surprise Cake, Patriotic Rice Krispies Cake or Red, White and Blue Apples.
Why I love this recipe
It's a super easy cupcake recipe and also a festive treat!
I just can't resist making treats for the holidays. July 4th is coming up and the perfect time to make something red, white and blue. I got the idea for these adorable American Flag Cupcakes in the First for Women magazine. The cupcakes are simple to make and the kids can help you decorate!
I even made them a little bit healthier by baking the cake mix with egg whites and coconut oil. Plus, there's fresh fruit on top! But mostly, they're just so cute and tasty too!
What you need
• Cake Mix - Use your favorite brand (15.25 ounces). I used Pillsbury.
• Coconut Oil - Don't worry if you don't have coconut oil. You can substitute vegetable oil or melted butter instead. Coconut Oil is very good but it does give the cupcakes a hint of coconut flavor. If you don't want the coconut flavor, try a brand that says "refined".
• Fruit Roll-Ups - Fruit by the Foot works really well for this recipe. Use any fruit leather brand you prefer.
How to make American Flag Cupcakes
1) Prepare the box of cake mix according to the box instructions. I used an electric mixer, but you could also do this by hand.
2) Divide batter by scooping into muffin cups lined with cupcake liners. You should have enough batter for about 20 cupcakes.
3) Make the white buttercream.
4) Cut the fruit roll-ups into tiny strips (for the flag.
5) Frost the cooled cupcakes, then place the red fruit strips on the right side to look like flag stripes.
6) Add blueberries to the left side to represent the stars. The smaller blueberries work the best.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use chocolate cake mix instead? Yes! If you decide to use chocolate cake mix instead of white cake mix, make sure to completely cover the top of the cupcake with frosting. That way you will still have the white background for your flag.
What is the best tool for frosting the cupcakes? My favorite spreading tool to frost cupcakes is a small (9-inch) offset spatula.
Is there something else I can use for the red stripes on the cupcakes? Yes! If you can't find the red fruit roll-ups, try cutting fresh strawberries in to narrow strips.
• Tips on cutting the fruit leather - Try cutting it with scissors to make it a little easier to handle the sticky fruit roll-ups.
• Dry the blueberries - After you rinse your fresh blueberries with water, make sue you dry them well with a paper towel. If they are still wet, they won't stick to the buttercream on the cupcake.
• Serve the same day - These cupcakes look the prettiest on the first day. If you let them sit for a day or two, the colors of the berries and the fruit leather might bleed into the frosting. They will still taste great but not perfect for a party. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
These patriotic cupcakes are so much fun. They would be great to serve at a July celebration of America's birthday. Just a little warning, if you want to take them to a party, be careful because the blueberries like to fall off during transport (yes I did that). You might want to add the blueberries when you get to the party.
Enjoy and Happy 4th!
Love this recipe? If you try it, be sure to tag me on @Instagram! You can also find me on Pinterest, YouTube and Facebook.
American Flag Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup water
For the frosting
- ½ stick butter softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons cream
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2-3 pouches red-colored rolled fruit snack I used Fruit by the Foot
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 20 cupcake liners in cupcake pans. Set aside.
- Place cake mix, coconut oil, egg whites and water in a large bowl. With an electric mixer, beat on low until ingredients are combined, then turn up to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter into 20 cupcakes. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until light golden brown on the edges. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, make frosting. Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer for a minute. Turn to low and gradually add the sugar, vanilla and cream. Turn mixer up to medium and beat for three minutes.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Cut rolled fruit snacks into narrow strips and add to half of the cupcake for flag stripes. Add blueberries on the other side. Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Leave a Reply