The Best Strawberry Buttercream Frosting is simply the most delicious icing flavored with fresh strawberries and perfect for cakes or cupcakes!
It’s Summertime! Or at least the school calendar says so. The kids are home and we all get to sleep late. Yay! No more homework, quizzes, or tests for two months. If I’m being honest, I’m not as excited about Summer as the children are just because there’s no set schedule. I crave structure and as a stay at home working mom, the school schedule does that for me. Do you know what I mean? But I’m adjusting and so glad the kids get a break from the stress of school.
It’s nice to spend more time with them too. They are teens, so they can do a lot of things on their own now. It’s not so hard on me, trying to juggle work and little ones. Now they can actually help me, so I’m putting them to work. Maybe Summer isn’t so bad after all. I’ve got more helpers around here.
Did I mention that they were teens? That means they are hungry a lot. Summer berries are here, so I’m taking advantage of that. Making lots of recipes with berries, including this one – The Best Strawberry Buttercream Frosting. And this recipe definitely deserves the name. It does not disappoint.
I’m a big fan of strawberries. I think it might be my favorite fruit. When I was little, I had a strawberry collection. Does that sounds a little strange? What I mean is, I collected things that had strawberries on them like strawberry dishes, clothing, jewelry, pictures framed on the wall, stationery, sheets, etc. You get the idea. I was obsessed with strawberries.
My daughter also loves strawberries. The Best Strawberry Buttercream Frosting is a big hit at my house! And it’s very simple to make. One of the most popular recipes on the blog is Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. This is really the same recipe with the addition of strawberry puree and strawberry extract for added flavor.
How to make The Best Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
Step 1: Beat butter until creamy.
Step 2: Gradually add powdered sugar, cream (or non-dairy milk), strawberry puree & flavoring.
Step 3: Once ingredients are combined, beat for 3 minutes.
Note: I used a Kitchenaid Mixer for this recipe.
This recipe makes enough frosting for 18 cupcakes or a two layer 9-inch round cake.
See below for full recipe. Let me know if you make The Best Strawberry Buttercream Frosting. Tag your photos with #momlovesbaking on Instagram for the chance to be featured.
Don’t forget to pin on Pinterest!
Photo credit: Jennifer Scott Photography
The Best Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 16 ounces powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (substitute almond milk, if desired)
- 1/4 cup strawberries (about 6 medium sized fresh strawberries)
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- Add strawberries and cream (or almond milk) to a blender and process untill you have a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, strawberry cream puree and strawberry extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- If the frosting is too thick, you can add a little more cream. Just add one tablespoon at a time, then mix thoroughly until you get the consistency you like.
- This frosting works well for piping onto cupcakes with a pastry bag that's fitted with a 1M nozzle.
- Enough to frost 18 cupcakes or a 9-inch round layer cake. Store frosting in refrigerator up to one week. Let it come to room temperature before eating. If you are using it to frost the cake after it's chilled, let it come to room temperature, then beat it for about 15-30 seconds to get it fluffy again.