Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake is a super easy, four layer cake topped with chocolate syrup and sprinkles.
Your family will love this cool and refreshing dessert that's so simple to make. Two layers of chocolate cake (made from a mix), filled with store bought mint chocolate chip ice cream. Then topped with chocolate syrup and cool whip. Don't forget the sprinkles. Perfect for a birthday celebration!
Have you ever made an ice cream cake?
It's really simple to make and something that everyone loves. I mean, who doesn't love cake and ice cream!
I've included step-by-step photo instructions on how to make this yummy cake below.
How to make this Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
Note: This is just an overview. Scroll down for the full recipe.
The first step in this recipe is to prepare a chocolate cake mix according to package instructions. Add 1 teaspoon mint flavoring and stir to combine. I used a 9-inch round spring form pan which I lined with a parchment paper round and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Then I baked the cake at 350°F. for about 38 minutes.
After baking the cake. Let it cool completely, then remove from pan. Wash and dry the pan then line with plastic wrap, making sure it overlaps on the edges like so. Then place a 9-inch cardboard cake board in the bottom of the pan and parchment paper around the edges.
Level the top of the cake, then slice in half horizontally. Place one half of cake in the bottom of the pan. Add half of the ice cream. Smooth top. Repeat with remaining cake and ice cream. Place in freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
Remove cake from spring form pan and place on serving plate. Add chocolate syrup on top.
Then add sprinkles and frozen whipped topping which has been thawed.
Slice and serve immediately. Yum!
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix prepared according to package instructions
- 1 teaspoon peppermint flavoring
- 48 ounces Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream, softened
- 2 cups Frozen whipped topping thawed
- ½ cup Chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons Sprinkles
- Prepare cake batter according to package instructions. Add mint flavoring. Stir to combine. Bake at 350°F in a greased, parchment paper lined 9-inch round spring form pan for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely. Cut cake horizontally, so that you have 2 layers. (You might need to level the top of the cake as well if it has a dome shape.)
- You will be using the spring form pan again, so wash and dry it. Line with plastic wrap, making sure you have some overhang on each side. Place a 9-inch round cake board in bottom of pan. Then take two pieces of parchment paper that are 15" x 5" each and place around the inside edge of pan.
- Place one cake half in the bottom of the lined cake pan. Spread half of the ice cream over cake. Repeat with remaining cake and ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with chocolate syrup, sprinkles and (thawed) frozen whipped topping.
- Serve immediately. Store in freezer for up to 5 days.
- Note: If you want to pipe the whipped topping, scoop it into a plastic pastry bag fitted with a 1M pastry tip and pipe onto cake. You should have it ready before you take the cake out of the freezer.
You might also like:
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post contains affiliate links.