Red, White and Blue M&M’S Candy Cake – two layers of your favorite yellow cake, filled and frosted with homemade vanilla buttercream then decorated with a diagonal stripe pattern of red, white and blue M&M’s candies on the side for a festive cake for the July 4th holiday!
Summer is here! Who’s excited? Are you ready for lots of Summer parties and barbecues? I’m always excited about 4th of July and love to create festive desserts for the occasion. This Red, White & Blue M&M’S® Candy Cake is the perfect addition to your Summer dessert table and especially Independence Day. Impress your guests with this adorable cake. It’s easy to make with the Red, White and Blue M&M’S® Milk Chocolate candies pantry jar which I found at Sam’s Club.
I used the Red, White and Blue M&M’S® Milk Chocolate candies Pantry Jar to decorate this cake which was awesome because I had plenty of M&M’S® candies for decoration, then lots left over to serve at my party. It’s also a terrific price when you’re a member of Sam’s Club. If you don’t have a Sam’s Club membership, you can also find bags of the Red, White and Blue M&M’S® Milk Chocolate candies at most grocery stores during the fourth of July holiday season. You can also find them at candy stores that sell the colors separately (all year round).
How to Make the Red, White & Blue M&M’S® Candy Cake:
Step 1: Separate the M&M’S® candies by color. Set aside.
Step 2: Bake 2 (6-inch) round cakes and let cool.
Note: I used a yellow cake mix to save time. You can use your favorite recipe or mix.
Step 3: Fill and frost your cake with vanilla buttercream frosting (recipe to follow).
Step 4: Place M&M’S® candies on side of cake in a diagonal striped pattern. Start with red, then blue and white. Repeat.
Step 5: Slice, serve and enjoy!
I hope you have fun making this patriotic cake! It’s a wonderful centerpiece for your Summer party. Happy 4th!
Want even more? Stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Red, White and Blue M&M'S Candy Cake
For the cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix, prepared according to package use your favorite brand
For the frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar 16 ounces
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the decorations
- 1 cup red M&M candies
- 1 cup white M&M candies
- 1 cup blue M&M candies
For the cake
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions. Pour into 2 (6-inch) round cake pans that have been greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool.
For the frosting
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Note: If the frosting is too thick, you can add a little more cream. Just add one tablespoon at a time, then mix thoroughly until you get the consistency you like.
Frosting & decorating cake
- Separate the M&M’S candies by color. Set aside. Fill and frost your cake with buttercream. Smooth sides of cake (I use a bench scraper and rotating cake turntable to achieve an extra smooth finish).
- Place M&M’S candies on side of cake in a diagonal striped pattern. Start with red, then blue and white. Repeat.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
You might also like: