Red, White and Blue M&M'S Candy Cake - two layers of your favorite yellow cake, filled and frosted with homemade vanilla buttercream then decorated with a diagonal stripe pattern of red, white and blue M&M's candies on the side for a festive cake for the July 4th holiday!
Summer is here! Who's excited? Are you ready for lots of Summer parties and barbecues? I'm always excited about 4th of July and love to create festive desserts for the occasion. This Red, White & Blue M&M'S® Candy Cake is the perfect addition to your Summer dessert table and especially Independence Day. Impress your guests with this adorable cake. It's easy to make with the Red, White and Blue M&M'S® Milk Chocolate candies pantry jar which I found at Sam's Club.
I used the Red, White and Blue M&M'S® Milk Chocolate candies Pantry Jar to decorate this cake which was awesome because I had plenty of M&M'S® candies for decoration, then lots left over to serve at my party. It's also a terrific price when you're a member of Sam's Club. If you don't have a Sam's Club membership, you can also find bags of the Red, White and Blue M&M'S® Milk Chocolate candies at most grocery stores during the fourth of July holiday season. You can also find them at candy stores that sell the colors separately (all year round).
How to Make the Red, White & Blue M&M'S® Candy Cake:
Step 1: Separate the M&M'S® candies by color. Set aside.
Step 2: Bake 2 (6-inch) round cakes and let cool.
Note: I used a yellow cake mix to save time. You can use your favorite recipe or mix.
Step 3: Fill and frost your cake with vanilla buttercream frosting (recipe to follow).
Step 4: Place M&M'S® candies on side of cake in a diagonal striped pattern. Start with red, then blue and white. Repeat.
Step 5: Slice, serve and enjoy!
I hope you have fun making this patriotic cake! It's a wonderful centerpiece for your Summer party. Happy 4th!
Want even more? Stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Red, White and Blue M&M'S Candy Cake
For the cake
- 1 yellow cake mix, prepared according to package
For the frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar or 16 ounces
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream or 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups M&M candies in red, white and blue
For the cake
- Prepare cake mix according to package. Bake in 2 greased 6-inch round cake pans. Let cool. Fill and frost with but.tercream
For the buttercream.
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Note: If the frosting is too thick, you can add a little more cream. Just add one tablespoon at a time, then mix thoroughly until you get the consistency you like.
- *Note: If you don't have heavy cream, you can use milk or water instead. If using milk or water, I would try 3 tablespoons instead of ¼ cup. If it's too thick, add another tablespoon.
- For the decoration, place M&M's on side of cake in a diagonal line in each color. Start with red, then white, then blue. Repeat until you have gone all around the cake. Pipe swirls of frosting on top using a 1M pastry tip. Add more M&M's to top of cake and paper flags, if desired.
You might also like: