Graduation Cap Cupcakes are super cute and so easy to make with store bought brownie bites, chocolate squares, M&M candies and sour candy strips for the tassels. If you're having a graduation party for your special graduate and need some fun cupcakes, these are just the ticket! You might also like OREO Cookie Balls with Flowers or Luau Cupcakes for an end of the school year party.
Why I love this recipe
• No baking necessary! I used all store bought ingredients for this one, so it's super easy!
• They're delicious! Graduation Cap Cupcakes are actually little brownies turned upside down. Then topped with a chocolate bar and candy. Yum!
• Kids love Little Bites Brownies! My children go crazy for them! They're also big fans of M&Ms, Air Heads and Ghiradelli Squares.
• Perfect for a graduation party. Kindergarten graduations, middle school, high school or even college graduations are all great occasions for these festive cupcakes.
What you need
• Little Bites Fudge Brownies - These are easiest if you use store bought mini brownies. You could also make a brownie mix and bake in a mini muffin pan. You could even use mini chocolate cupcakes.
• Ghiradelli Chocolate Squares - Choose your favorite flavor. I used the Dark Chocolate Squares with Raspberry for the chocolate graduation cap .If you can't find these, you can buy a larger chocolate bar and cut into squares. A Hershey's chocolate bar would work well.
• AirHeads Xtremes Rainbow Berry Sour Candy - This rainbow candy works really well because you can cut skinny pieces of each color to represent the tassels. You could also use red licorice laces or licorice strips.. Another substitute could be fruit roll-ups cut into strips.
• M&M's Candies - Use the colors that work best for your school. If you can't find them, try using chocolate chips or red hots instead.
How to make this recipe
1. Melt ¼ cup of semisweet chocolate chips and pour them into a disposable pastry bag, cut a tiny corner off and "glue" the chocolate bar. Pipe a small amount on the bottom of the brownie bite. Work quickly as you don't want the chocolate in the pastry bag to set. If it gets hard, you can stick the bag in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
2. Place chocolate square on top (upside down so logo doesn't show).
3. Pipe a little more melted chocolate in the middle of chocolate bar, then add an M&M candy.
5. Using the melted chocolate, pipe a little line next to the M&m.
6. Add Sour Candy tassel right on top of the melted chocolate with the edge right next to the M&M, then the other end hangs over chocolate bar.
Frequently asked questions
Can I make the brownie bites at home? Yes. Simply use your favorite brownie mix. Prepare according to package instructions, heat oven to 350°F, then bake in a mini muffin pan with mini cupcake liners. Let cool completely before removing liners. Then decorate as indicated in recipe.
What else can I use instead of a chocolate bar for the cap? Try a chocolate covered (square) graham cracker.
How do I make these gluten free? Use gluten free brownie bites (if you can find them) or make them homemade using a gluten free brownie mix.
Can I use white chocolate bars? Absolutely! They would be so cute!
• Storage Tips: These delicious cupcakes taste best the first day. So if you're making them for a party, make them the night before or morning of even (if possible).
• If Making Them the Night Before: Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Don't refrigerate because the chocolate will sweat when they thaw out.
• Match your School Colors: Use the colors that work best for you. If your school colors are gold and blue, use only the gold and blue M&M candies and sour candy.
Today was the last day of school for my kids. My son "graduated" 3rd grade and my daughter "graduated" 6th grade. No cap and gown, but in the spirit of the season, I thought it would be fun to make these easy graduation cupcakes. They were a huge hit. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
Graduation Cap Cupcakes
- 20 Mini round brownies such as Entenmann's Little Bites
- 20 Chocolate squares such as Ghiradelli Chocolate Squares
- 20 M&M's chocolate candies
- 2 AirHeads Xtremes Rainbow Berry Sour Candy or you can substitute strawberry licorice laces
- ¼ cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- Cut the Air Heads into narrow strips about 1 ½" long. You'll need 20 strips. Set aside.
- Place all the brownie bites on a tray. Turn upside down.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips on high for 1 minute. Pour into a disposable pastry bag. Cut a tiny corner from the bag.
- Squeeze a little bit of melted chocolate on the top of each brownie. Place a chocolate square on top. Work quickly as you don't want the chocolate in the pastry bag to set. If it gets hard, you can stick the bag in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
- Use the melted chocolate to "glue" 1 Air Head strip and 1 M&M candy on top of each chocolate square.