This is the Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting I've EVER tasted! No joke. I love it. It comes out perfect every time and it's so easy to make!
I've been making this recipe for about 5 years now and it is my family's absolute favorite. It's always my go-to when I need chocolate frosting. Always! Whether it's for cake, cupcakes or even cookies, this truly is The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting EVER!
The first time I shared this recipe was back in 2014 when I made my husband a Perfect Vanilla Cake with The Best Chocolate Frosting Ever for his birthday. He just loves yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Sometimes a guy's got to have a good old fashioned cake for his special day!
Today I'm sharing the frosting recipe by itself to make it easier for people searching for frosting recipes. You can use this chocolate frosting on any of your favorite cakes!
How to use this Chocolate Buttercream
I've made this recipe so many times. Here's what I've frosted with The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (to name a few):
Why Homemade Frosting is always BEST!
It tastes SO much better than store bought.
Made with fresh ingredients, no preservatives.
It's naturally gluten free.
Your family will thank you!
How to Make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1) Combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
2) Beat softened butter with an electric mixer.
3) Gradually add sugar/cocoa mixture, milk and vanilla.
4) Whip until light and fluffy
Tools for success
Bench Scraper - For smoothing frosting on sides of cake.
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream plus a little more if it's too thick
- ¾ cup cocoa powder I used Nestle
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat unsalted butter, powdered sugar, cream and vanilla until combined on low speed with an electric mixer. Turn up to medium high and beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually beat in the cocoa powder with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Continue beating on medium speed until smooth. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container. Let it come to room temperature and stir well before frosting cake.
- This recipe makes enough frosting for 12 cupcakes with a tall swirl of frosting or 24 cupcakes with a thinner coating of frosting. OR you could fill and frost a two layer 8-inch round cake.
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links. Note: The photos in this post were taken by Jennifer Scott Photography.