Chewy Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies are simply the best cookies I’ve ever made and are just as the name implies, soft, chewy and delicious!
Originally posted June 2014 – photos updated August 2016
Who likes soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies? Me, me, me! I found this recipe on Pinterest and just had to try them. (I wish I could remember what site the original recipe came from.) I added the M&Ms for color. And the result, these absolutely incredible Chewy Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies!
I used the original M&M colors this time, but I’ve also made them with custom colors to fit a theme. I picked bright pink, lavender, white and light blue M&M’s when I was making cookies for my daughter’s post play drama camp party. They did some scenes from Disney’s Frozen. So the bright pink, lavender, white and light blue seemed like “Frozen” colors to me. I got them from a candy store called Fuzziwigs. They sell the M&M colors separately. And for a pretty penny too. But it was totally worth it! The cookies came out so cute.
One of the neat things about this recipe is that you don’t have to use a mixer. It’s all hand stirred which makes it quick and easy. Start with a mixture of flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, an egg, an egg yolk and vanilla. Pour that into the flour mixture. Stir to combine. Then fold in your chocolate chips. Scroll to the bottom of this post for the complete recipe and also to see the video of How to Make Chewy Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies.
An important step in the making of these cookies is that you MUST refrigerate the dough for at LEAST 2 hours. This is crucial and not an option. Then you shape them into balls that consist of about 3 tablespoons of dough. I used an OXO Good Grips Large Cookie Scoop. Place dough balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet. You could also use a silicone baking mat such as the AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat – 2 Pack. I pressed the balls down slightly so that they would spread a bit more when they baked.
Then I placed M&Ms on top so that they would look pretty and baked them in a 350°F. oven for 11-14 minutes.
I have to say, this is my most favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. I have always had a problem with this most basic of cookies. In the past, my chocolate chip cookies would always spread way out when baked, so that they were thin and crispy which I do NOT like. These are nice and thick and soft and chewy. So yummy!
Note the thickness in this photo. If thick and chewy is what you like, then this is the recipe for you!
Now watch my video to see for yourself how easy it is to make Chewy Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies!
Have fun and enjoy!
Chewy Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 1.5 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar loosely packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk preferably at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup M&Ms for tops of cookies or more, if desired
- Toss together flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl. Set aside
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the egg, then the egg yolk. Finally, whisk in the vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft, yet thick. Fold in the chocolate chips. They may not stick to the dough because of the melted butter, but do your best to have them evenly dispersed among the dough. Cover the dough and chill for 2 hours, or up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and allow to slightly soften at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 3 tablespoons of dough each. Or use a jumbo cookie scoop to form the balls of dough. Place balls of dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Press a few M&Ms on top of the dough balls for looks, if desired. Bake the cookies for 11-14 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked. They will continue to bake on the cookie sheet. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies stay soft and fresh for 7 whole days at room temperature (if you can keep them from being eaten for that long). Cookies may be frozen up to 3 months. Rolled cookie dough may be frozen up to three months and baked in their frozen state for 12 minutes.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.