Easy Bunny Cupcakes with Marshmallow Ears are so cute and simple to make with cake batter baked right into an ice cream cone. Perfect for Easter season and kids will love them!
Easy Bunny Cupcakes with Marshmallow Ears
Why I love these Cute Easter cupcakes
• They're a little bit more fun than traditional cupcakes or regular cupcakes. Not your typical cupcakes!
• The kids will love these adorable Easter bunny cupcakes that are also completely delicious.
• These cute Bunny cupcakes are perfect for a Easter celebration or even a Spring party!
• They start with a box of cake mix, plus the best homemade buttercream frosting and cute marshmallow bunny ears.
what you need
• Ice Cream Cones - Use your favorite brand but make sure they are the cake cones (not the sugar cones or waffle cones).
• Cake Mix - We used a white cake mix for this recipe, but you could use any kind of boxed cake mix you like such as yellow, chocolate, red velvet or funfetti.
• Marshmallows - Make sure you buy large marshmallows for this recipe and NOT the mini marshmallow size.
• Pink Sugar - You can buy it in the grocery store or craft store. If you can't find it, make your own. Just mix a few drops of pink food coloring into ¼ cup of granulated sugar until completely combined.
• Mini Chocolate Chips or Sugar Pearls - At the last minute, I decided to use mini chocolate chips for the bunny eyes. Or you cold use dark grey sugar pearls as pictured above. They're made by Wilton and found at Walmart, online or your local craft store or baking supply store.
How to make these cute cupcakes with bunny faces
1) In a large mixing bowl, mix up the cake batter with an electric mixer according to package instructions. Use a muffin scoop to scoop cupcake batter into greased muffin tins or cupcake pans. (You don't even need a cupcake liner.) Make sure you don't over-fill them. You only need to fill the muffin cups ⅔ full.
2) Add an upside down ice cream cone on top of the batter in each muffin cup. Bake cupcakes at 350°F for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack.
3) Make white frosting using hand mixer or stand mixer. Beat softened unsalted butter on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Frost cupcakes with using an offset spatula.
4) For the bunny ears, cut marshmallows in half on the diagonal. Dip the sticky side or cut side in pink sugar. Place two ears on top of each cupcake. Then add a pink jelly bean for the nose and two mini chocolate chips for the candy eyes.
• Room Temperature Ingredients - For best results, always use room temperature ingredients for most baking projects. Chilled ingredients mix differently and affect the consistency of the recipe.
• Prepared Pan - It's very important to grease your cupcake pan very well to make sure your cone cakes don't stick. (Do not use a silicone pan because it's too floppy). Use shortening or butter and rub it all over the inside of the pan, covering all the crevices. I used a generous amount of Crisco and they popped out perfectly after baking and cooling.
• Making the Cones Straight - When placing the cones on top of the batter before baking, try to place them as straight as possible. Then gently press them slightly into the batter to help stabilize them when they bake.
• Serving Suggestion for Cupcake Cones -If you're serving them at a Easter party, place each cupcake in a clear plastic cup with a handful of M&M candies in the bottom of the cup to stablize the cupcake and also look cute (preferrably holiday colors).
Frequently Asked Questions
How much batter do I put in the muffin pan? This is an important question. Make sure you don't over-fill them. You only need to fill the muffin cup ⅔ full. It helps if you use a medium scoop or muffin scoop.
Does the ice cream cone burn in the oven? Lots of people have asked this question and the answer is no. As long as you bake your ice cream cone cupcakes on the middle rack of a 350°F oven for about 22 minutes, they will not burn.
How do I store my adorable bunny ear cupcakes? Place cupcakes in the cupcake pan that you baked them in (after it's cooled). You can place a little bit of aluminum foil around the base of each cone to stablize them, if you wish. Store in refrigerator. Let thaw before serving.
How do I transport my frosted cupcakes? You can transport them the same exact way that you store them in the muffin pan. Then loosely cover with plastic wrap. Be careful! If possible, have a friend hold them in their lap in the passenger's seat of your car.
Looking for more Easy Easter Desserts? Here are some of my favorites from the website:
Easy Bunny Cupcakes with Marshmallow Ears
- 1 box cake mix, prepared according to package instructions.
- 18 cake ice cream cones
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar Or about 16 ounces
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 pink jelly beans
- 18 large marshmallows, cut in half diagonally
- ¼ cup pink sugar sprinkles
- 36 mini chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, mix up the cake batter with an electric mixer according to package instructions. Use a muffin scoop to scoop cupcake batter into greased muffin tins or cupcake pans. (You don't even need cupcake liners.) Make sure you don't over-fill them. You only need to fill the muffin cup ⅔ full.
- Add an upside down ice cream cone on top of the batter in each muffin cup. Press gently and make sure cone is straight vertically. Note: This recipe will make up 15-18 cupcakes, depending on how much batter you put in each muffin cup. Bake cupcakes at 350°F for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle of the cake part comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack.
- Make homemade vanilla buttercream using hand mixer or stand mixer. Beat softened butter on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Frost cupcakes with using an offset spatula.
- For the bunny ears, cut marshmallows in half on the diagonal. Dip the inside part in pink sprinkles. Place two ears on top of each cupcake. Then add a pink jelly bean for the nose and two mini chocolate chips for the eyes.