Do you have leftover PEEPS from Easter? Well then you should definitely make this adorable Peeps Sunflower Brownie Cake and I'll bet you have everything you need already in your pantry! #notanad
PIN IT NOW TO SAVE FOR LATER
What you need to make this Peeps Sunflower Brownie Cake
1) Your favorite brownie mix
2) Chocolate frosting (recipe follows)
3) PEEPS yellow marshmallow chicks
4) Semi-sweet chocolate chips
My 17 year old daughter made this little ray of sunshine of a cake. It's so cheerful, don't you think? And so simple to make! She used a gluten free brownie mix for the cake part but you could use a regular brownie mix if you wish.
how to make a Peeps Sunflower Brownie Cake
Step 1: Prepare your favorite brownie mix according to package instructions. (I used a Krusteaz Gluten Free Brownie Mix)
Step 2: Pour the brownie batter into an 8-inch round cake pan that's been greased and lined with parchment paper.
Step 3: Bake your brownie cake according to package instructions. (I baked mine for 45 minutes at 325°F.) Let cool.
Step 4: Frost the cake with my recipe for The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, then add the PEEPS for the yellow sunflower petals and chocolate chips for the brown flower center. And voila, your sunflower cake has sprouted!
Where can you find marshmallow peeps?
If you're reading this after Easter, then you should be able to find some PEEPS yellow marshmallow chicks on the sale rack at your local grocery store. Otherwise, I've got good news for you. PEEPS are sold all year round now. Check the PEEPS website for more information. I've also included a link below if you want to buy your PEEPS on amazon.
Can I make this with cake mix instead of a brownie mix?
Yes, you absolutely can make this with regular cake mix instead of brownie mix. If you want to make a chocolate cake mix, then you will need to make two layers of cake instead of one. Use two 8-inch round cake pans, greased and lined with parchment paper. Prepare cake batter and bake according to package instructions. Let cool. Double the chocolate buttercream frosting recipe listed below. Then fill, frost and decorate your sunflower as directed.
This PEEPS Sunflower Brownie Cake is what I would call a "semi-homemade" recipe (as Sandra Lee says). The cake portion is from a mix but the frosting is homemade. I think it's perfectly fine to use a cake mix or brownie mix sometimes but I think it's always best to make the frosting homemade whenever possible. What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below.
Why I think Homemade Frosting is always BEST!
It tastes SO much better than store bought.
Made with fresh ingredients, no preservatives.
It has a luscious consistency that is perfect for piping, spreading and eating.
Your family will thank you!
Tips on making the Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1) Make sure you start with room temperature, unsalted butter.
2) For best results, use a good quality cocoa powder.
3) Follow the recipe exactly as written.
4) Once ingredients are all combined, beat for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
Wishing you all sunny days, starry nights, blue skies and green lights. My granddaddy Sullivan used to always say that and I still love it to this day. He was from Savannah, GA and that is where my daughter got her name. I think he would be proud. Thank you, Savannah, for making us this lovely PEEPS Sunflower Brownie Cake!
Happy Baking y'all!
Tools for success
Bench Scraper – For smoothing frosting on sides of cake.
Cake Turntable with Icing Spatula
PEEPS Yellow Marshmallow Chicks - 10 ct tray (pack of 4)
Wilton 8-inch Round Cake Pans - Set of 2
8-Inch Round Parchment Paper Rounds
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Peeps Sunflower Brownie Cake
For the cake
- 1 brownie mix, prepared according to package (I used Krusteaz Gluten Free Brownies
For the chocolate buttercream
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces powdered sugar about 2 ¼ cups
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the decoration
- 14 yellow marshmallow chicks I used PEEPS
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the cake
- Grease and line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Prepare brownie mix batter according to manufacturer's instructions. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake according to package directions or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
For the frosting
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric mixer. Turn up to medium high and beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- With the mixer running on low, gradually add the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture, milk, and vanilla extract. Increase to medium high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Note: If the frosting is too thick, you can add a little more milk. Just add one tablespoon at a time, then mix thoroughly until you get the consistency you like.
For the decoration
- Place brownie cake on serving plate. Frost the cake. Add the yellow marshmallow chicks around the edge and fill the center with chocolate chips. It's ready to serve. Store covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
More recipes using Chocolate Buttercream
I’ve made this frosting recipe so many times. Here’s what I’ve frosted with The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (to name a few):
Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Cupcakes
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.
Leave a Reply