Magic Marshmallow Crescent Puffs won the 20th Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1969. Recipe on Pillsbury.com by Edna M. Walker of Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Before I get to the recipe instructions, I have to mention again that this is recipe #20. Yay! I’m almost halfway through the 52 winning recipes from the Pillsbury Bake-Off. Ever wonder what would happen if you wrapped a crescent roll around a marshmallow and baked it? Well, let me show you.
First you dip each marshmallow into melted butter and roll it around to coat on all sides. The recipe calls for 16 marshmallows.
Then you dip the buttered marshmallow in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Roll it around to coat on all sides.
Separate the dough into 16 triangles.
Place each coated marshmallow on a crescent triangle (at the narrow end), then roll it up and pinch the edges closed.
Place dough covered marshmallow in melted butter, then in a greased muffin pan, butter side down. Bake at 375°F. for about 15 minutes.
One thing I forgot to do is to put a cookie sheet on the shelf underneath the muffin pan. Don’t skip this step because one of the marshmallows bubbled over and onto the bottom of my oven. Ugh! What a mess.
So this is what happens to a marshmallow when you bake it inside dough. It disappears! Like magic! Actually, it melts into an ooey, gooey, sweet center. Top the cooled puffs with icing and chopped nuts. Yum! I’ll bet you can’t eat just one.
Stay tuned for Recipe #21 – Onion Lover’s Twist
Magic Marshmallow Crescent Puffs
- Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury®
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cans 8 oz each Pillsbury® Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
- 16 large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup LAND O LAKES® butter or margarine melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 cup Fisher® Chef's Naturals® chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 16 medium muffin cups with CRISCO® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray. In small bowl, mix granulated sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Separate dough into 16 triangles. For each roll, dip 1 marshmallow into melted butter; roll in sugar mixture. Place marshmallow on shortest side of triangle. Roll up, starting at shortest side and rolling to opposite point. Completely cover marshmallow with dough; firmly pinch edges to seal. Dip 1 end in remaining butter; place butter side down in muffin cup.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. (Place foil or cookie sheet on rack below muffin cups to guard against spills.) Cool in pan 1 minute. Remove rolls from muffin cups; place on cooling racks set over waxed paper.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over warm rolls. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve warm.