Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake
I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Eagle Brand. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. All opinions are mine alone.
The kids are out of school all week for the Thanksgiving holiday, so we came to Alabama to visit family for a few days. I think it’s wonderful that the children get 9 whole days off! Not having to wake up at 6 am for a few days is just fine with me. Plus, I love visiting my relatives.
One of the nice things about having a blog as your full time job is that you can make your own schedule. I can also blog while I’m out of town and that’s what I’m doing today.
Since I’m always baking sweet treats, of course I wanted to bring something yummy to share with my family. I wanted something extra special that would also travel well.
Enter Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake. It’s so ooey, gooey good! If you’re a fan of chocolate turtles, then you will love this cake. Plus, it’s very simple to make using the Caramel Flavored Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. (Note: If you can’t find the seasonal flavor of the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, you can substitute 1 cup of caramel flavored syrup, found in the ice cream section of your grocer.)
“Caramel Flavored and Chocolate Flavored Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk are limited-edition seasonal flavors which make great shortcuts while you’re baking delicious holiday favorites for your friends and family. Both the chocolate and caramel varieties of sweetened condensed milk bring the rich, creamy texture to holiday recipes that the entire family will love. Try them now, because just like the holidays, they’re here only for a short time.”
Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake starts with an easy chocolate cake mix prepared according to package instructions. Then you poke holes in the top with a wooden spoon handle. Pour caramel flavored sweetened condensed milk over the cake and spread all around. Refrigerate for an hour. Then frost with chocolate frosting and sprinkle with pecans and mini chocolate chips.
This is a great dessert to serve your guests at a holiday party. It’s sure to please all of those chocolate lovers in your life. It also looks impressive although you can whip it up in no time.
Caramel is something that’s usually a bit tricky to make from scratch, but don’t worry, you can use Eagle Brand Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk right out of the can. No stirring over a hot stove and messing with a candy thermometer.
But it’s a limited edition item, so make sure you try some during the holidays before it’s gone! It also comes in Chocolate for a limited time only.
“The two new flavors provide the same quality that Eagle Brand consumers have trusted for over 150 years.”
I baked mine for about 35 minutes. Let it cool slightly, then use the handle of a wooden spoon to punch holes all over the cake. That’s the fun part! It brings out the kid in me and makes me feel like it’s something I’m not supposed to do. Didn’t your mom ever tell you you’re not supposed to punch holes in your cake with your spoon! Punch away! (You could also use a straw to punch smaller holes.)
Next, pour a can of Eagle Brand Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk over the cake (or caramel syrup if you can’t find the seasonal Eagle Brand). Spread evenly, so the caramel gets into all of the holes. Put it in the refrigerator to chill for about an hour.
Frost with store bought chocolate frosting.
Add chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips and drizzle more caramel syrup on top.
It’s ready to serve!
Once you slice it and place on a plate, you can drizzle more caramel syrup down the sides for dramatic effect. Who can resist caramel dripping down the side of your chocolate cake!
With chocolate, caramel and pecans, you can’t go wrong! Try Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake at your next holiday party.
- 1 (15.25 oz) package chocolate cake mix, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 (16 oz) can store bought chocolate frosting
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Store bought caramel syrup for drizzling on top of cake
- Note: If you can't find the seasonal flavor of the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, you can substitute 1 cup of caramel flavored syrup, (found in the ice cream section of your grocer). If it's too thick to pour, heat in microwave according to package instructions before pouring over cake.
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Let cool for 10 minutes. Punch holes in top of cake using the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Pour can of Eagle Brand Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk over the top of cake. Spread to make sure it gets into all of the holes. Put cake in refrigerator for 1 hour. Frost cake with chocolate frosting. Add nuts and chocolate chips on top. Drizzle with caramel syrup. Slice and serve. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 5 days.