Mother’s Day is May 10 this year and right around the corner. Do you have any traditions for celebrating this special day? I think it’s fun to get my children in the kitchen with me to work on a baking project. I made these Chocolate Turtle Pretzel Bites with my son and we had a blast. They were so easy to make using Fleishmann’s Simply Homemade Baking Mix – Pretzel Creations!
We used the mix to make the pretzel dough, stuffed pieces of dough with caramel and pecans, baked it, then drizzled the top with melted chocolate and added chopped pecans. Super simple and ooey, gooey good! Chocolate Turtle Pretzel Bites are an extra special treat that mom will love!
And the best part is the soft, caramel center.
Pretzel Chef Luke is holding the Fleishmann’s Simply Homemade Baking Mix we used for this recipe. I think he’s the cutest chef I’ve ever seen but I could be biased.
Here’s what’s included in the mix.
You will need hot water for the mix. Directions say to use hot tap water that’s 120°F-130°F but my tap water wasn’t hot enough. I used a kitchen thermometer to be sure. I ended up microwaving it for about 15 seconds then checked the temperature again and it was just right.
Next you add the pretzel mix, yeast, hot water and 1 tablespoon of oil to a large bowl. Stir with a spoon until all is incorporated. Then you can finish mixing it with your hands if you want to. This was a good job for my little chef.
Once the dough has formed, place it in another bowl. I sprayed it with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for 25 minutes.
Divide the dough into 24 golf ball sized pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then flatten with your hand. Place one pecan and one caramel in the center. Wrap the dough around and seal at the bottom by pinching the dough together with your fingers. Keep the balls covered with a cloth as you work, so they don’t dry out.
Meanwhile, bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large, deep saucepan. Add the baking soda packet and stir. One by one, drop the stuffed pretzel dough balls into the boiling water with a slotted spoon. Let it boil for 15 seconds, then place on a prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle with pretzel salt.
Bake at 400°F for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool slightly before decorating.
Then melt 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave for about a minute. Pour chocolate into a resealable plastic storage bag. Cut off a tiny corner and drizzle chocolate over pretzel bites. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Now it’s time to sample your Chocolate Turtle Pretzel Bites. Try not to eat the whole tray.
I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make these Chocolate Turtle Pretzel Bites. I always thought soft pretzels were mysteriously difficult to make. Boy, was I wrong!
So why not get the kiddos in the kitchen this Mother’s Day to make these delicious treats!
Chocolate Turtle Pretzel Bites
- 1 16.5 oz/468g box of Fleishmann's Simply Homemade Baking Mix Pretzel Creations, prepared according to package instructions
- 24 individually wrapped caramel candies
- 24 whole pecans
- 1/2 cup 75g semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°F. LIne 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat. Set aside.
- Prepare the pretzel dough according to the package instructions. (I used a candy thermometer to make sure the water was at 125°F.)
- Divide the dough into 24 (golf ball sized) pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then flatten with your hand. (Keep all of the dough covered with a towel as you work, so that it won't dry out.) Place one pecan and one caramel in the center of the dough, then fold the dough over and pinch the edges closed so that the caramel and nut are completely covered.
- Meanwhile, boil 6 cups of water in a large, deep saucepan. Add the baking soda packet and stir. With a slotted spoon, lower each dough ball (one at a time) into boiling water. Let boil for 15 seconds, then remove to prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned (pretzel brown). Let cool slightly while you prepare the topping.
- Place chocolate chips n a microwave safe bowl, microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for another 15 seconds and stir until completely smooth. Pour into a resealable plastic bag. Cut a tiny corner off and drizzle chocolate over pretzel bites. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Serve immediately. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They are the best the first day.
Here are more great ideas for Mother’s Day: