Homemade Gluten Free Flour Blend is a recipe I’ve developed to make my own gluten free flour mix at home which turns out to be much cheaper than buying the pre-made mixes at the grocery store.
Why I Make HOmemade gluten free flour blend
I’ve been experimenting with gluten free baking recipes for over 10 years now. First, my mom found out she was allergic to gluten back in 2009. Then my daughter found out she was sensitive gluten about 2 years ago due to a condition called hashimotos. She loves bread, pizza, cookies, cupcakes and brownies just as much as any teenager, but all of those things traditionally contain gluten! So I’ve really had to step up my gluten free baking game lately.
Gluten Free Products Are So Expensive
Are you gluten intolerant or have someone in your family that can’t have gluten? Have you noticed how EXPENSIVE it is to buy gluten free breads, cakes, cookies, donuts, muffins, pizza crust, etc? Then, if you want to make these things yourself, have you noticed how expensive it is to buy a gluten free flour mix? One of my favorite brands is $12.00 for one small bag of an”All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix!” Who can afford that? Not me.
Make Your Own homemade Gluten Free Flour Blend
After many years of experimentation, I’ve finally figured out my own Homemade Gluten Free Flour Blend! It’s great for baking cakes, cookies, pies, brownies, muffins, waffles, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, pizza, quick breads and much more!
How to Make This recipe
• First you will need these four items: Brown Rice Flour, Arrowroot Flour, Tapioca Flour and Xanthan Gum
• For best results, use a food scale to measure your ingredients.
• In a large bowl, add Brown Rice Flour, Tapioca Flour, Arrowroot Flour and Xanthan Gum (see recipe below for exact measurements).
• Whisk together the flours and xanthan gum until thoroughly combined.
• Store in an airtight container at room temperature (expiration dates depend on the brands you use).
I hope you enjoy my Homemade Gluten Free Flour Blend! Being gluten free isn’t easy but there are some delicious recipes you can make at home using this flour blend.
Here are a couple of our favorites:
This is where you can find the flours for this recipe if you would like to order online…
I initially used Bob’s Red Mill Flours for this recipe, then found that this brand – Anthony’s – is cheaper.
tools for success
Note: The above items are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 4 cups brown rice flour (520g)
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour (84g)
- 1 cup arrowroot flour (120g)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (7g)
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. (I like to weigh the ingredients for best results each time.) Whisk together until completely combined.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Use the expiration dates on the individual packages of ingredients for shelf life information.
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.