I've known about Tomato Pie for a long time but to tell you the truth, it just didn't appeal to me. I thought it sounded kind of strange. Well was I wrong! My friend, Mary, inspired me to make this pie. She made it and once I tasted it, I was hooked. Tomato Pie is surprisingly delicious and perfect for Summer. I love it!
The simple ingredients make it total comfort food. Fresh tomatoes, green onions, and fresh basil create the first layer; topped with cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise and bacon. All in a basic pie crust and baked for 30 minutes. So good!
Mary used Paula Deen's recipe so I did too. The only exception is I added bacon for some extra protein and little bit of crunch on top.
The first thing you do is peel the tomatoes. I love Paula's method. Drop 4 tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then put them in ice water. The skin will crack a little like this. That's what you want.
Peel each tomato. It's easy after you boil them. The skin just comes right off.
Slice the tomatoes and place in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with salt and let them sit until some of the liquid has drained out of the tomatoes.
Place one layer of slice tomatoes in baked pie crust. Add half of the green onions and basil. Sprinkle with pepper. Repeat with second layer of tomatoes, onions, basil and pepper.
Combine 1 cup each of cheddar, mozzarella and mayonnaise. Spread over tomato mixture. Add the bacon crumbles on top. Bake at 350°F. for 30 minutes.
Let the pie cool slightly and serve warm. Enjoy!
- 4 large tomatoes peeled and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 9-inch pre-baked deep dish pie shell I used Pillsbury
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese 85g
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese 90g
- 1 cup mayonnaise 205g
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices cooked bacon crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds, then immediately place in a bowl of iced water. This will make the skin easier to peel. Slice the peeled tomatoes and place slices in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- Place one layer of tomato slices in the bottom of the prepared crust. Sprinkle with pepper, to taste. Add half of the basil and onions. Repeat with remaining tomatoes (sprinkled with pepper), basil and onions.
- Combine the cheese and mayonnaise. Spread mixture over tomatoes. Add the bacon and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let it cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm. Store covered in refrigerator for several days.
Esther Byler says
This is absolutely incredible. Go for it.
Absolutely superb! I made 2 for others & wish I’d kept them for me! Will make all summer with yummy tomatoes!
Lise Ode says
So glad you enjoyed the recipe. I hope you will make one for yourself!
Janet T says
Going to put some feta in mine..I love feta...hope I like it! Tomato and basil feta cheese. Anyone tried this?
Lise Ode says
Janet, That sounds wonderful!
gaming laptops under 600 says
Back-to-school, Christmas along with seasonal sales will save you hundreds using a new mobile
computer. You can even find many from the major gaming specialists
for instance Alienware, Vigor, and Sager sporting DX 10 graphics.
Powernotebooks custom gaming laptops under 600 laptops These are a few general aspects
being pondered on within the laptop buying checklist.
Most general computers come that has a card such as the Intel HD Graphics Card,
that is perfectly acceptable for anything around an HD video, but isn't strong
enough to address many games. Integrated kinds are incredibly
common, cost-efficient and power efficient, but practically
ineffective for modern 3D games.
Pocket Vigina after says
They feel gorgeous and wonderful, and mood is frequently
upbeat. In his personal report on the incident,
Schene wrote the shoe hit him in the correct shin, "causing injury and pain. Fleshlight review does However, Catherine Cooper's wispy, ethereal vocals are what this band is know for.
Women usually feel the symptoms only once the infection actually reaches their urethra, womb plus the fallopian tubes. Material that discusses positively, weapons, ammunition or any style of harmful substances.
A good tech blog attracts a big number of knowledgeable bloggers who share their ideas. Pocket Vigina after fleshlight review
made You might want to purchase an mobile app to control
your battery power.
Karen @ The Food Charlatan says
Adding bacon. ALWAYS a good choice 🙂 This pie looks just perfect! I love a good savory pie!