Orange Banana Pretzel Salad
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Yesterday was Memorial Day and we had a lovely family get together at my brother and sister-in-law’s place. I was the designated dessert maker for the day, so I brought this scrumptious Orange Banana Pretzel Salad. The fact that the word “salad” is in the name is a bit humorous but it’s actually a twist on the famous strawberry pretzel salad that everyone loves. This one is made with Sunnyd, orange gelatin and bananas and it is so yummy! It’s also gluten free. The family loved it!
Orange Banana Pretzel Salad is three layers of deliciousness. First there’s a crust of gluten free pretzels, butter and sugar. Next is a luscious layer of cream cheese, sugar and whipped topping. All is topped with a refreshing citrus layer of SunnyD, orange gelatin and fresh banana slices.
I needed SunnyD for this recipe and also because my son loves it. I found a 24-count package of SunnyD on sale at Sam’s Club for just $5.38! This Rollback price is running until the first week in August. My Sam’s Club had them in the Refrigerated Beverages section. You can also find them on a featured end-cap display in Sam’s Club from April – July. Each SunnyD bottle is an individual serving so no one has to share and they are great for kids and adults alike. More fun ideas for SunnyD can be found at WhereFunBegins.net .
Back to the recipe. This dessert is simple to make. The first step is to make the crust. Mix together crushed pretzels, sugar and melted butter.
Press the pretzel mixture into the bottom of a greased 13″ x 9″ glass casserole dish. Bake at 350°F. for 10 minutes. Let cool.
Next, beat cream and sugar together until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Then spread on top of cooled crust.
Meanwhile, prepare your orange gelatin, replacing half the water with SunnyD. Stir in sliced bananas. Let it chill until it gets soupy. Then spoon onto cream cheese layer. Chill for at least 2 hours.
SunnyD makes Orange Banana Pretzel Salad extra tangy and so good. It’s a great dessert for your next party or anytime you’re in the mood to serve up some fun.
Be sure to check out more fun in the sun with SunnyD at sunnyd.com. I’d love to hear how you have fun with SunnyD!
- 3 1/2 cups (140g) crushed gluten free pretzels
- 1 1/4 cup (250g) granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces (227g) cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces (227g) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 9 ounces (255g) orange flavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) SunnyD
- 4 medium (400g) bananas, sliced
- Whipped cream or whipped topping for garnish
- For crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine crushed pretzels, 1/4 cup of the sugar and melted butter in a medium bowl. Press into the bottom of a greased 13" x 9" glass casserole dish. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- For filling:
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium high until creamy. Add remaining 1 cup of sugar. Beat on medium speed until smooth. With a spatula, fold in the whipped topping. Spread on top of the cooled crust.
- For the topping:
- Pour the gelatin into a medium bowl. Add the boiling water and stir until dissolved. Stir in the SunnyD. Add the sliced bananas. Refrigerate mixture until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Pour over cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with whipped cream or whipped topping, if desired.