This Easy Cracker Toffee Cookie Recipe (Christmas Crack) is so incredibly delicious and very simple to make. It's popular during the holidays but in my personal opinion, you can make it anytime. It's one of my favorite cookie recipes. Sure to be your new favorite recipe too!
Also known as "Christmas Toffee," "Saltine Toffee," or "Cracker Candy." Christmas Crack consists of a layer of saltine crackers coated with a mixture of butter and brown sugar and baked until the sugar caramelizes into a toffee-like layer. Chocolate chips are then sprinkled on top and allowed to melt, creating a chocolatey layer that is spread out to cover the entire surface. It tastes sort of like heath bars with an added crunch of the crackers.
Crackers - Saltine crackers are the most popular choice for this classic recipe. If you are gluten free like me, then you can use gluten free crackers. You could also try another type of cracker if you're feeling adventurous.
Butter - We prefer unsalted butter but if you only have salted, that will work fine too.
Brown Sugar - Use light brown sugar. You could also use dark brown sugar if you wish, but it will change the flavor a bit.
Chocolate Chips - You can use either semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. We used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can substitute dairy free chocolate chips if you need to.
why i love this christmas crack
• Christmas Crack combines sweet and salty flavors along with a satisfying crunch from the toffee layer and chocolate. It's a terrific flavor combination!
• Cracker toffee is relatively easy to make, requiring only a few simple ingredients and minimal cooking skills.
• Plus, it's homemade toffee and who doesn't love that! It is the best cookie recipe, if you ask me.
• The short preparation and cooking time make it a go-to option for a quick sweet treat. It's great for satisfying a sweet tooth without a lot of effort.
• Makes your house have a lovely nutty aroma when you're making them.
• A simple ingredient list with common items you likely have in your kitchen makes this recipe very accessible and budget-friendly.
• Making this Easy Cracker Toffee Cookie Recipe (Christmas Crack) every year during the holidays is a tradition at my house. We love anything with toffee flavor!
• You can customize cracker toffee to your liking by adding toppings like chopped nuts, sprinkles, or crushed candy canes. You can really get creative and add your favorite topping to make it your own recipe.
How to make the best toffee cookie
Here are the step-by-step instructions...
1. First, preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 15” x 10” x 1” cookie sheet or sheet pan with parchment paper, or a silicone mat. Line up crackers in a single layer on bottom of the pan.
2. Next, using a candy thermometer (if you have one), melt butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 to 3 minutes (270 to 290 degrees if using a candy thermometer). It will smell like browned butter. Immediately pour the golden brown mixture over crackers and spread evenly with a spatula.
3. Then bake 5 minutes or until the candy hardens. Remove from oven.
4. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot toffee, let it sit for a few minutes or until melted, and spread after that using the back of a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
5. Add sprinkles or other toppings. Cut or break into squares while warm. And now you have the perfect cookie! Cool completely for at least 15 minutes and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Scroll to see the full recipe card.
• Gather all your ingredients and have them measured and ready before you start.
• You'll also need a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
• While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle your choice of toppings, such as chopped nuts, sprinkles, or crushed candy canes, over the melted chocolate. You could also sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
• Once the Christmas Crack is fully set, use your hands or a knife to break it into pieces.
• Store your Christmas Crack in an airtight container or freezer bag to keep it fresh. It can be stored at room temperature.
Frequently asked questions
• Why did my toffee separate from the crackers? Toffee can separate from the crackers if it hasn't been spread evenly, or if the toffee mixture was undercooked. To prevent this, make sure to coat the crackers thoroughly with the toffee mixture, and cook the toffee until it reaches the right consistency.
• Can I use a different type of cracker? Yes, you can experiment with different types of crackers. While saltine crackers are commonly used, you can try gluten free crackers, graham crackers, Ritz crackers, or other plain crackers for a unique twist on the classic recipe.
• How can I avoid burning the toffee? Stir the toffee mixture constantly while it's cooking to prevent burning. Use a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature and remove it from the heat once it reaches the desired temperature.
• Why did my chocolate not melt properly? Chocolate can seize if it comes into contact with even a small amount of water, so make sure all utensils and bowls are completely dry. Additionally, remove the toffee from the oven and immediately add the chocolate chips to allow them to melt from the residual heat.
• Can I make cracker toffee in advance? Yes, cracker toffee can be made in advance. Store it in an airtight container at room temperature. It can also be refrigerated if you want to extend its shelf life.
• How long does cracker toffee stay fresh? Cracker toffee can stay fresh for about a week if stored properly in an airtight container. Be sure to keep it in a cool, dry place to maintain its texture.
• Can I freeze cracker toffee? Yes, you can freeze cracker toffee. Place it in an airtight container or freezer-safe container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to several months. Thaw it at room temperature before serving.
Easy Cracker Toffee Cookie Recipe (Christmas Crack)
- Next, melt butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. For best results, use a candy thermometer. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 to 3 minutes (270 to 290 degrees if using a candy thermometer). then Immediately pour over crackers and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 5 minutes or until the candy hardens. Remove from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over hot toffee. Let melt for a few minutes. Spread over hardened toffee. (If the chocolate chips didn't melt enough, pop it back in the oven briefly until melted, and spread after that).
- Add sprinkles or toppings of choice. Let cool completely for at least 15 minutes. Cut or break into squares.
- Store your Christmas Crack in an airtight container or freezer bag to keep it fresh. It can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator to extend it's shelf life.