Banana Split Oatmeal has all the flavors of your favorite frozen dessert but without all the calories and sugar. Sub oatmeal instead of ice cream and you've got yourself a tasty breakfast treat!
I'm excited about this recipe because it's a fun twist on one of my favorite desserts that I get to eat for breakfast. Banana Split Oatmeal has all the great flavors of the famous sundae but without all the sugar and fat.
Dessert for Breakfast?
What do y'all think of this recipe? Any excuse to eat "dessert" for breakfast is always a good thing if you ask me! Ok, so it's not really a dessert, but we can pretend because it's so delicious! You don't need tons of sugar and fattening ice cream to have a yummy banana split.
How to Make Banana Split Oatmeal
Putting together Banana Split Oatmeal is very easy.
1) Start by making the oatmeal. To make on the stovetop, bring 1 cup of water to a bowl, then stir in ½ cup of old-fashioned oats and a pinch of sea salt. Turn the heat down to medium and let it gently boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Then add these 5 special ingredients: Banana, strawberries, vanilla Greek yogurt, walnuts, and melted chocolate chips.
3) Place the cooked oatmeal in a nice deep cereal bowl. Then add the sliced bananas and yogurt in the middle. Sprinkle the chopped strawberries and walnuts over the yogurt and drizzle the melted chocolate over everything.
Pictured above are all of the ingredients you need to make Banana Split Oatmeal. Easy peasy!
Who doesn't love " faux dessert" for breakfast?
Two ways to eat Banana Split Oatmeal
1) You can eat it in layers like a parfait or English trifle. (That's my favorite.)
2) Or you can stir it all up to combine all the flavors together.
I used fat-free, sugar-free vanilla Greek yogurt for mine to cut back on some of the calories. I love the added protein from the yogurt in addition to the 5g of protein per serving in the oats.
What is your favorite breakfast?
Now it's your turn to try Banana Split Oatmeal at home. Are you an oatmeal person? Yogurt parfaits? Let me know in the comments below. Also, did you make it with extra toppings? I'd love to hear your ideas...
You might also like these other oatmeal recipes
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Banana Split Oatmeal
- ½ cup old-fashioned eats
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 5 ounces vanilla Greek yogurt I used fat free/sugar free
- 1 banana sliced
- 3 tablespoons diced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips melted
- Prepare the oatmeal according to package instructions.
- Place prepared oatmeal in a cereal bowl.
- Add bananas around the edges, pour yogurt in the middle. Sprinkle strawberries and nuts over yogurt. Drizzle melted chocolate over everything.
You might also like...
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.