Banana Split Oatmeal has all the flavors of your favorite frozen dessert but without all the calories and sugar. Sub oatmeal instead of ice cream and you’ve got yourself a tasty breakfast treat!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BringYourBestBowl #Kroger #CollectiveBias
I’m excited about this recipe for two reasons. Number one, it’s a fun twist on one of my favorite desserts that I get to eat for breakfast. Banana Split Oatmeal has all the great flavors of the famous sundae but without all the sugar and fat. Number two, this recipe is actually my entry in a very exciting contest called Bring Your Best Bowl. All you have to do is create a new flavor for Quaker® Oats using 2-5 ingredients.
And the best part, you can enter to win $250,000! Yes, you read that correctly. That’s a quarter of a million dollars folks! That’s a lot of cash! Top recipe entries will be created and sold in stores for a limited time in Fall 2016. Do you have any creative ideas for a new Quaker® Oats flavor? The contest has already started, so mark your calendar with these important dates: Contest Ends on March 12, 2016 and the winner will be announced in November 2016.
Update: Contest has ended but you can still make this yummy recipe!
So Banana Split Oatmeal is my flavor idea for the contest. What do y’all think? Any excuse to eat “dessert” for breakfast is always a good thing if you ask me! Ok, so it’s not really a dessert, but we can pretend because it’s so delicious! You don’t need tons of sugar and fattening ice cream to have a yummy banana split.
Quaker® Oats are easy to find at Kroger in the Hot Cereals section.
How to Make Banana Split Oatmeal
Putting together Banana Split Oatmeal is very easy.
1) Start by making the oatmeal. To make on the stovetop, bring 1 cup of water to a bowl, then stir in 1/2 cup of Quaker® Oats and a pinch of sea salt. Turn the heat down to medium and let it gently boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Then add these 5 special ingredients: Banana, strawberries, vanilla Greek yogurt, walnuts and melted chocolate chips.
3) Place the cooked oatmeal in a nice and deep cereal bowl. Then add the sliced bananas and yogurt in the middle. Sprinkle the chopped strawberries and walnuts over the yogurt and drizzle the melted chocolate over everything.
Pictured above are all of the ingredients you need to make Banana Split Oatmeal. Easy peazy!
Who doesn’t love ” faux dessert” for breakfast?
Two ways to eat Banana Split Oatmeal
1) You can eat it in layers like a parfait or English trifle. (That’s my favorite.)
2) Or you can stir it all up to combine all the flavors together.
I used fat free, sugar free vanilla Greek yogurt for mine to cut back on some of the calories. I love the added protein from the yogurt in addition to the 5g of protein per serving in the Quaker® Oats.
Now it’s your turn to try Banana Split Oatmeal at home. Find the full recipe below.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know in the comments below. Also, did you make it with extra toppings? I’d love to hear your ideas…
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Banana Split Oatmeal
Banana Split Oatmeal has all the flavors of your favorite frozen dessert but without all the calories and sugar. Sub oatmeal instead of ice cream and you've got yourself a tasty breakfast treat!
- 1/2 cup Quaker® Oats Old Fashioned
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 5 ounces vanilla Greek yogurt I used fat free/sugar free
- 1 banana sliced
- 3 tablespoons diced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips melted
- Prepare the oatmeal according to package instructions.
- Place prepared oatmeal in a cereal bowl.
- Add bananas around the edges, pour yogurt in the middle. Sprinkle strawberries and nuts over yogurt. Drizzle melted chocolate over everything.
You might also like…