Caramel Apple Donuts are baked apple donuts dipped in the most amazing homemade caramel glaze, plus chopped peanuts on top. It's like having a caramel apple for breakfast!
A caramel apple with nuts is one of my favorite treats and it is very popular in the Fall, but why not enjoy those delicious flavors in the Spring (I know it's technically still Winter, but we're SO close)! Caramel Apple Donuts are baked donuts made from scratch dipped in an ooey gooey homemade caramel glaze, plus chopped peanuts on top. So, so good y'all!
And believe it or not, there's no oil in this recipe. That's right, none! I replaced the oil with applesauce. Did you know that ½ measuring cup of applesauce is the equivalent to about ½ Cup Oil? Such an easy substitute and a great way to cut down on calories. And you'll never miss the oil because you've still got all the flavor you need!
I replaced the oil in this recipe with Mott's® Natural Applesauce. It comes in a lot of fun flavors too, like Mott's® Healthy Harvest Granny Smith Applesauce, Mott's® Healthy Harvest Summer Strawberry Applesauce, Mott's® Healthy Harvest Peach Medley Applesauce, Mott's® Healthy Harvest Blueberry Delight Applesauce, and Mott's® Healthy Harvest Country Berry Applesauce.
Mott's® Applesauce is a great choice for my family because it's all natural with great taste. And it's Full of Vitamin C and free of cholesterol and sodium.
Mott's® Applesauce is easy to find at Publix on the canned fruit aisle
Have you ever made homemade caramel? It's so very simple! All you need is a can of sweetened condensed milk. Oh and 4 hours. I know, it's sort of a long time, but if you plan ahead, you're in for an awesome treat!
Place the can (with the label removed) in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and turn down to low. Let it cook for 4 hours. Let cool and open the can to find this amazing caramel.
Then you can whip up your donuts, which come together very quickly. Place your dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir. Then add eggs and applesauce. Stir until combined. Bake in greased donut pans at 350°F. for 15-18 minutes.
Then you pour the caramel into a microwave safe bowl. If it has cooled completely, you'll want to heat for a few seconds in the microwave to make it easier to dip the donuts in.
Dip the donuts, so they're completely covered with caramel on one side.
Then sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
These Caramel Apple Donuts are moist and delicious. The peanuts add a little salty crunch, which is perfect.
And I love that there's no oil. I know this isn't a diet recipe, but if you are counting calories, every little bit helps. Replacing the oil with applesauce really cuts down on the calories (½ cup Mott’s® Natural Applesauce or Mott’s® Natural Granny Smith Applesauce – 50 calories, ½ cup vegetable oil – 960 calories).
Be sure to check out Mott's® on Pinterest and Facebook too!
Tools for success
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Caramel Apple Donuts
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Mott's® Natural Applesauce
For the topping
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, boiled (see recipe) Note: make this first because it takes 4 hours
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- First, you will want to make the homemade caramel which is a boiled can of sweetened condensed milk. It takes 4 hours, but it's super easy. Place can of sweetened condensed milk (label removed) in a pot, cover can with water, and bring water to a boil. Turn heat to low, cover and continue to cook for 4 hours. Remove from heat. Let can cool completely. Open can and spoon milk (which is actually caramel at this point) into a microwave safe bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease three donut pans (each pan should make six donuts). Set aside.
- Place all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together to combine. Add eggs and applesauce. Stir until completely combined. Scoop into prepared pans.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool.
- Topping: If the caramel is cool and thick, heat for about 20 seconds in the microwave to make it easier to work with. Stir until smooth. Dip donuts in caramel. Add chopped peanuts on top.
You might also like these Halloween Donuts…
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeItWithMotts #CollectiveBias