If you're a fan of snickerdoodles, then you will surely love these Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies with a caramel hidden inside that's ooey gooey when you bite into it!
For my gluten free friends, try this Gluten Free Snickerdoodles Cookies recipe - deliciously soft and chewy butter cookies, rolled in cinnamon sugar which gives them a slight crunch.
These Cookies are SO Easy to Make
I love these cookies because they’re simple to put together and the caramel surprise is extra special. They’re so easy to make and you don’t even need a cookie cutter. First you make a classic snickerdoodle recipe. Then you simply roll the cookie dough into balls, flatten with the palm of your hand and place a caramel inside. Then cover the caramel with cookie dough, roll into a ball again and dip in cinnamon sugar to bake.
Ingredients you need for Caramel stuffed snickerdoodles
Flour – All purpose flour works best.
Baking Soda & Cream of Tartar
Salt – I used table salt, but you could also use sea salt or Kosher salt.
Butter – Unsalted butter, softened to room temperature.
Sugar – White granulated sugar is what I used.
Egg – Two large eggs at room temperature.
Cinnamon - Ground cinnamon
Vanilla - Pure vanilla extract works best. Don't use vanilla flavoring.
Caramels - I used Kraft Baking Caramels
How to Make caramel snickerdoodle Cookies
Note: This is just an overview, scroll down for full recipe.
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter and all dry ingredients except the flour in a large bowl. Blend in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the flour and mix until a dough forms.
- Form into balls (2 tablespoons of cookie dough) then flatten with the palm of your hand. Add a caramel and wrap the dough around it. Roll into a ball again, dip in cinnamon sugar, then place onparchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely and enjoy!
More Great Cookies You’ll Love
TOOLS FOR SUCCESS
Note: The above items are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Want even more? Stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 24 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
For the topping
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the first five ingredients (sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer on medium high 30 seconds. Add the sugar mixture you just whisked together. Beat until combined, scraping bowl as needed. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (I prefer using half sheet pans with raised edges). Preheat oven to 375°F. In a shallow dish combine ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Shape dough into 1 ½-inch balls (about 2 tablespoons each). Flatten each ball of dough with the palm of your hand and place a caramel in the center. Wrap the dough completely around the caramel and roll into a ball again. Roll balls in the sugar mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake on middle rack for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Let cool before serving. Makes 24 cookies.
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.