These Copycat Cosmic Brownies taste just like your favorite LIttle Debbie brownies, but so much better! These fudgy brownies are topped with an easy chocolate ganache frosting (made without heavy cream) and mini rainbow chocolate chips.
Why I love this recipe
Super easy to make with a mix and just two ingredients for the frosting.
They taste so fresh and delicious!
You can easily make them gluten free AND dairy free.
The dreamy chocolate ganache frosting is simply amazing. This homemade version is so much better than the original Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies!
What you need
• Brownie Mix - Use your favorite brand. I used a Krusteaz gluten free mix and took the chocolate chips out. Prepare according to package instructions.
• Chocolate Chips - I prefer semi-sweet. You could also use dark chocolate chips
• Coconut Milk - Must use the canned coconut milk because it's extra creamy. Stir it up completely before using.
• Rainbow Chips - These rainbow candy coated mini chocolate chips make these brownies look and taste like the real Cosmic Brownies. Find them at your local craft store or online.
How to make homemade cosmic brownies
Step 1 - Prepare the brownie mix according to package directions. I used a gluten free mix that included chocolate chips, so I removed the chocolate chips from the mix. This step is optional.
Step 2 - Using a rubber spatula, spread the brownie batter into a 9" x 9" square baking pan which has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and lined with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over the side slightly.
Step 3 - Bake pan of brownies according to package instructions. Let them cool completely before frosting.
Step 4 - For the ganache: Place the coconut milk (or heavy cream) in a medium, microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high until it just begins to bubble, about 30-40 seconds. Stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Let the ganache stand until cooled, about 30 minutes. Pour the frosting over the cooled brownies.
5. Evenly spread chocolate ganache over cooled brownies. Use an offset spatula for easier spreading.
6. Sprinkle ganache with rainbow chip sprinkles. Then chill in refrigerator until set, about an hour. Remove chocolate brownies from pan by grabbing the edges of the parchment paper and pulling out. Place on cutting board and using a sharp knife, slice into 16 squares. Enjoy your fudgy treat!
Frequently asked questions
Why did you use a brownie mix for this Cosmic Brownie recipe? To be perfectly honest, I prefer using a mix for brownies over a made from scratch recipe. I don't like brownies from scratch as much. Just a personal preference. Plus it's quick and easy!
Can I make Copycat Cosmic Brownies ahead? Yes, you can make them two days ahead of time. Store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Is it ok to use heavy cream instead of coconut milk? Yes, you can substitute the same amount of cream instead of coconut milk.
Substitute Milk Chocolate Chips? Yes you can use milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the frosting, but it won't taste like Cosmic Brownies as much.
Can I use a regular brownie mix? Yes, you can substitute a regular brownie mix instead of a gluten mix as I used today.
Storage Tips - It's best to store these brownies in the refrigerator because the ganache gets very soft at room temperature. Store in an airtight container. Or simply cover the pan with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Baking Tip - Always use room temperature eggs in your baking recipes. Even if it's just a brownie mix. The cold eggs react differently with the ingredients and will affect the texture and consistency. For best results, use room temperature large eggs.
Ganache - Note that the chocolate ganache frosting will be sort of soupy at first. It simply needs to cool a bit before spreading onto brownies. You can speed up this process by placing your bowl of ganache over another bowl of ice and stir until slightly thickened.
Tips on Cutting your Brownies - Make sure you chill the brownies before cutting into squares to get a clean cut. If you can't wait, you can cut into them before chilling but just know that the ganache frosting won't be set and it might be a little messy.
Copycat Cosmic Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix, prepared according to package instructions I used Gluten Free Krusteaz brand. Substitute regular brownie mix, if desired.
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1 ¼ cups
- ½ cup coconut milk, from the can or heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup rainbow candy-coated mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 9" square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Then line with parchment paper, letting it extend over two sides (so you can easily pull the brownies out when they were done). Set aside.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to package instructions. Pour brownie batter into prepared pan. Bake as directed. Let cool.
- For the ganache: Place the coconut milk (or heavy cream) in a medium, microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high until it just begins to bubble, about 30-40 seconds. Stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Let the ganache stand until cooled, about 30 minutes. Pour the frosting over the cooled brownies.
- Sprinkle with rainbow mini chips. Refrigerate frosted brownies until set, about an hour. Make sure you chill the brownies before cutting into squares to get a clean cut. If you can't wait, you can cut into them before chilling but just know that the ganache frosting won't be set and it might be a little messy. Remove chilled brownies from pan by lifting up and out with parchment paper. Cut into 16 squares using a sharp knife. Serve and enjoy!