Starlight Double Delight or Grandma’s Chocolate Cake is a homemade chocolate cake topped with a chocolate mint buttercream frosting.
Starlight Double-Delight Cake – from the 3rd Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1951. Recipe on Pillsbury.com by Helen Weston of La Jolla, California. I also like to call it Grandma’s Chocolate Cake because that’s what it reminds me of. It’s one of my favorites of all the winning recipes from the Bake-Off!
So right off the bat, I knew this recipe was a little different because you make the frosting first. Start with cream cheese, butter, vanilla & peppermint flavoring.
Mix the butter, cream cheese and flavorings, then add the powdered sugar and hot water.Beat well.
Add melted semi-sweet chocolate and mix well.
And then you have Chocolate Mint Frosting. Yum! I could stop right there, but it needs a cake.
So the interesting thing about this cake is that you start the batter with 2 cups of frosting. Then add in the eggs and some butter.
Then you add the flour, baking soda, salt and milk. Here’s the finished batter in the pan. (There will be 2 pans.)
Bake the cakes for 30-40 minutes. Let cool 1 hour, then frost.
Here’s the finished cake. The frosting is really good. The cake is not as moist as I had hoped, but I might have baked it too long – 40 minutes. 30 minutes would probably be perfect. (Baking tip – It’s really important to never over bake your cakes. Sometimes I don’t follow my own advice, but need to remember this.)
Next weeks recipe is Snappy Turtle Cookies.
Starlight Double-Delight Cake (Grandma's Chocolate Cake)
- Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury®
- 2 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate melted
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. In large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup margarine, vanilla and peppermint extract; blend until smooth. Add powdered sugar alternately with hot water, beating until smooth. Add chocolate; blend well.
- In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of the frosting mixture and 1/4 cup margarine; blend well. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking soda, salt and milk; beat until smooth. Pour batter evenly into greased and floured pans.
- Bake at 350°F. for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer, top side down, on serving plate. Spread with about 1/4 of frosting. Top with second layer, top side up. Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Store in refrigerator.