Old Fashioned Lemon Curd Bars are traditional lemon bars with a gluten free crust and a secret ingredient that makes them extra lemony.
My mom recently brought me 3 boxes full of my grandmother’s recipes and I’ve had so much fun going through them. These bars were inspired by one of the recipes I found in a little church booklet that was in one of her boxes called Lemon Love Notes. The name is so appropriate as she was a piano teacher and organist at her church.
I altered the recipe to create a thicker layer of lemon curd and also added lemon oil to bump up the lemon notes. They came out great!
The crust comes together very easily by mixing up some margarine, flour, powdered sugar and salt. I used dairy-free margarine and gluten free flour so my daughter could eat these. You could use butter and regular flour too, if you wanted to.
Press into a greased 9-inch pan, then bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the filling and pour over crust. Bake for 25 more minutes.
I used pure lemon oil to make it extra lemony. I order mine. You can find it here (affiliate):
Let cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Cut into squares and serve.
I’ve never actually made lemon bars before which is hard to believe since I’ve been baking since I was about 9 years old. These Old Fashioned Lemon Curd Bars did not disappoint!
If you’re a fan of lemons, you will definitely love these bars. They’re also kid approved!
Featured on Meal Plan Monday at Southern Plate.
Old Fashioned Lemon Curd Bars
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine softened (I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 1 cup flour I used Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice about 3 lemons
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon oil
- 5 tablespoons flour I used gluten free
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Stir together crust ingredients in a medium bowl. Press into prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Place all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium low until completely combined. Pour into cooled crust. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Let cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar using a mesh strainer. Cut into squares and serve. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you liked this recipe, you might like these too: