So I’m back! Did you think that I had forgotten about this little baking project of mine? Well, I certainly haven’t. It’s just been a very busy summer with lots of visitors. I admit that I’ve gotten a little bit behind on this but I am determined to reach the finish line.
Muffin Mix Buffet Bread won the 18th Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1967. Recipe on Pillsbury.com by Maxine Bullock of Spring City, Tennessee.
This recipe is definitely the easiest one so far. You start with a small box of corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy). Reserve 2 tablespoons of the mix, then add yeast, warm water, 2 cups of flour, cheddar cheese soup and melted butter. Stir to combine, then add remaining flour. Knead on a floured surface until smooth. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. (The complete recipe is at the end of this post.)
Divide dough in half. Press each half into a greased 8-inch square pan. Cut each into 8 strips. Drizzle with butter, sprinkle with reserved muffin mix, cover and let rise in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
Bake at 375°F. for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Here’s what mine looked like when I took it out of the oven.
Break apart into bread sticks or cut with a knife. Serve warm. These would be perfect for a chili dinner. They look much prettier than regular cornbread, so it would be a great recipe to serve to guests.
Muffin Mix Buffet Bread
- 8.5 ounce corn muffin mix
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Unbleached or Self Rising Flour
- 10.75 ounce condensed Cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
- Grease two 8 or 9-inch square pans. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the dry muffin mix. In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water (105 to 115°F.). Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add remaining dry muffin mix, 2 cups of the flour, soup and 1/4 cup of the melted butter; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gradually stir in remaining 2 cups flour to form a stiff dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth, about 1 minute. Cover; let rest 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Divide dough in half; press each half into greased pan. Cut each into 8 strips. Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup melted butter over loaves; sprinkle with reserved muffin mix. Cover; let rise in warm place 12 to 15 minutes or until light.
- Bake at 375°F. for 18 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans. Break apart or cut with knife. Serve warm.
Stay tuned for next week’s recipe – Buttercream Pound Cake