A crunchy pecan and meringue crust filled with creamy strawberry filling makes this truly The Best Strawberry Cream Angel Pie Recipe!
It is also naturally gluten free since there is no flour in it which makes it the perfect gluten free pie recipe. Move over apple pie, The Best Strawberry Cream Angel Pie Recipe is here to steal the show!
Why I Love this Angel Pie Recipe
• It's light as a cloud with a berrylicious flavor and all with just a few simple ingredients.
• The combination of light strawberry filling and meringue crust is unbeatable.
• There's no flour in the meringue base, so it's perfect for anyone that's gluten free.
• A tried and true vintage recipe adapted from the Southern Living cookbook of 1989.
• Fresh strawberries and whipped cream all nestled on top of an airy, crispy meringue crust instead of the classic pie shell.
• The best melt in your mouth meringue crust with a dreamy creamy strawberry filling!
what you need
• Egg Whites - We used the egg whites from 3 large eggs for this recipe. For best results, egg should be at room temperature. I don't recommend using the egg whites that come in a carton. Note: After separating your egg whites, reserve the egg yolks for another recipe such as Creme Brulee. Store egg yolks in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
• Whipping Cream - Get heavy whipping cream (found in the refrigerated dairy section of your grocery store). Make sure it is very cold when you beat it. It also helps to use a chilled bowl before beating.
• Vanilla Extract - Use pure vanilla extract (not vanilla flavoring).
• Strawberries - This recipe works best with fresh strawberries. You could also substitute your favorite berries such as blackberries, raspberries or blueberries.
How to make The Best Strawberry Cream Angel Pie Recipe
1. Preheat oven temperature to 325°F. Beat egg whites (at room temperature) in large bowl at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy.You could place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and beat until foamy.
2. Gradually add ½ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in baking powder, pecans and 1 teaspoon vanilla (Original recipe also included ⅔ cup saltine cracker crumbs.)
3. Spoon the delicate meringue mixture into a buttered 9-inch pie plate and spread around plus up the sides of the plate using the back of a spoon. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool. Meanwhile, to whip cream, beat the heavy cream at high speed until foamy; gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
4. Fold in sliced strawberries with rubber spatula and using an offset spatula, spread evenly over meringue shell. Garnish the surface of the filling with a few more strawberry slices and a few mint leaves for color. Chill pie until ready to serve. It is best enjoyed in 1-2 days.
• Your bowl and beaters must be extremely clean when beating egg whites. Any oil will prevent the whites from reaching stiff peaks. Use a paper towel with a little vinegar to wipe out your bowl before beating egg whites.
• Egg whites will get more volume when you beat them at room temperature.
• To add a little crunch to the meringue crust, you can fold in ⅔ cup crushed saltine crackers before baking. These were included in the original recipe but were omitted to make this a gluten free pie crust recipe. If you CAN have gluten, feel free to add them.
Frequently asked questions
• Can I make this pie a different flavor? Yes. Substitute fresh peaches or any fresh berries instead of the strawberries. Or try it with your favorite fresh fruit.
• What are some other fillings to use in a meringue crust? Try a chocolate pudding filling or lemon filling is also delicious.Make a French Silk Pie or Lemon Chiffon Pie and use the meringue crust from this recipe instead of a regular crust. Also called Chocolate Angel Pie or Lemon Angel Pie.
• How do I make this recipe sugar free? Substitute your favorite sugar substitute to add to the egg whites and also to the whipped cream instead of regular sugar.
Looking for more recipes like this?
Lemon Meringue Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Love lemon desserts? Try Classic Lemon Bars
The Best Strawberry Cream Angel Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Beat egg whites (at room temperature) at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy.
- Gradually add ½ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in baking powder, pecans and vanilla (Original recipe also included ⅔ cup saltine cracker crumbs.)
- Spoon meringue mixture into a buttered 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool. Meanwhile, beat whipping cream at high speed until foamy; gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Fold in sliced strawberries and spoon evenly over meringue crust. Chill pie until ready to serve.
I've also tried this recipe with Splenda sweetened cream instead of sugar and it turns out nicely.
The Best Strawberry Cream Angel Pie Recipe is adapted from the Peach Chiffon Pie Recipe from Southern Living Cookbook 1989. Courtesy of Mrs. Clifford B. Smith, Sr. - White Hall, Maryland.