Blueberry-Poppy Seed Brunch Cake won the 34th Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1990. Recipe on Pillsbury.com by Linda Rahman of Petaluma, California. A lemon flavored poppy seed cake with blueberry filling and powdered sugar/milk drizzle.
Start by beating butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add lemon peel and egg. Mix well.
Then add a mixture of flour, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds. Look what happened when I dumped the poppy seeds in. A spontaneous heart. I love it when that happens!
Add sour cream.
Spread batter over bottom and 1 inch up sides of greased and floured 9 or 10-inch springform pan, making sure batter on sides is ¼ inch thick.
Add the filling (blueberries, sugar, flour and nutmeg) and bake at 350° for about 45 minutes.
After it cools a bit, drizzle with a mixture of powdered sugar and milk. Perfect for tea time or a brunch party.
Blueberry-Poppy Seed Brunch Cake
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup margarine or butter softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries thawed, drained on paper towels
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of 9 or 10-inch springform pan. In large bowl, combine ⅔ cup sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add lemon peel and egg; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In medium bowl, combine 1 ½ cups flour, poppy seed, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add to margarine mixture alternately with sour cream, beating until well combined. Spread batter over bottom and 1 inch up sides of greased and floured pan, making sure batter on sides is ¼ inch thick.
- In another medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients; mix well. Spoon over batter.
- Bake at 350°F. for 45 to 55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; remove sides of pan.
- In small bowl, blend powdered sugar and enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm cake. Serve warm or cool.
Leave a Reply