Chocolate Cherry Bars - like a Texas sheet cake with cherry pie filling added to the batter before baking. Super moist & cherry chocolatey!
It's like texas sheet cake with cherries!
Let me just say that this is hands down my favorite recipe so far in this baking project. Not only are these Chocolate Cherry Bars delicious, they are super easy to make too. It's a win win situation! 1 of 2 winners at the 25th Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1974. Recipe on Pillsbury.com by Francis I. Jerzak of Porter, Minnesota.
Note: This is more like a Texas sheet cake (not really bars).
Here's all you need to prepare the cake part of the bars. Only 4 ingredients. Sweet!
1) Chocolate Cake Mix
2) Cherry Pie Filling
3) Three Large Eggs
4) Almond Extract
How to make chocolate cherry bars
For the cake portion of the bars, simply mix together the 4 ingredients and bake at 350°F. for about 30 minutes.
While the cake is baking, make the boiled chocolate icing.
To make the boiled chocolate icing, place the sugar, milk, and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Let boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Immediately add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Pour over warm cake.
Let cool completely before serving.
After the cake has cooled, try not to eat the whole pan! It's SO good!!
These Chocolate Cherry Bars are so moist with a lovely cherry flavor. Who doesn't love chocolate and cherries together! This one is a winner indeed!
Want even more? Stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Chocolate Cherry Bars
For the cake
- 1 box Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme™ Devil's Food Cake Mix 18.25-oz.
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs beaten
For the Frosting
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 5 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips 1 cup
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 15x10x1-inch baking pan or 13x9-inch pan. In large bowl, combine all cake bar ingredients; stir until well blended. Pour into greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350°F. until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For 15x10x1-inch pan, bake 20 to 30 minutes; for 13x9-inch pan, bake 25 to 35 minutes.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, milk and margarine. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour and spread over warm bars. Cool 1 ¼ hours or until completely cooled. Cut into bars.
You might also like...