Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Donuts are chocolate cake mix donuts made with pumpkin puree added in and a pumpkin spice glaze. Chocolate and pumpkin spice is such a great flavor combo. Great Fall treat!
Happy October! What a perfect time to make a pumpkin dessert. It’s my first official pumpkin recipe of the season. Yay!
I knew I wanted to make chocolate pumpkin donuts but I wasn’t sure exactly what to frost them with until the other day when I found these at Target. Have you ever in your life seen these Pumpkin Spice Morsels? They make a perfect glaze for these chocolate pumpkin donuts.
But first, let me tell you how I made the donuts. They’re so easy. Just 4 ingredients – chocolate cake mix, a can of pumpkin, an egg and pumpkin pie spice. Mix it all together and you have your donut batter.
You also need a donut pan. This one is made by Wilton. Using a piping bag makes it much easier to fill the donut cups. Make sure to fill the batter to the top. I went around twice.
They bake quickly, just 8-10 minutes.
Making the glaze is super simple too. Just melt the pumpkin spice morsels, butter, corn syrup and water in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Stir well, then dip your donuts.
Aren’t these candy corn colored sprinkles adorable! I got them at Target too.
They passed the test! I didn’t mention the pumpkin part and Luke didn’t even know. He just gave me the thumbs up.
Taste tester #2. Savannah really liked them too. Kid approved!
Tools for success
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Donuts
For the donuts
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 15 ounce canned pumpkin 425 g
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup pumpkin spice morsels (I used Nestle Toll House) 90 g
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 30 g
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon water
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray donut pans with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the dry cake mix, pumpkin, egg and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. With an electric mixer, beat on low until ingredients are combined. Turn the speed up to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Batter will be thick.
- Scoop the batter into a large pastry bag and pipe into prepared pans. Fill each pan cavity to the top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool donuts in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Place in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make your glaze. Place all of the glaze ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave another 10-15 seconds, if needed. Glaze should be smooth and very easy to stir.
- Dip chilled donuts in glaze and return to wire rack with wax paper underneath to catch the drippings. You can refrigerate them again for 20 minutes if you want them to set quickly. Eat immediately or store up to 1 day in the refrigerator.
You might also like these Caramel Apple Donuts…
Or these Halloween Donuts…
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.