This Crack Chicken Recipe in the Crockpot Slow Cooker is incredibly easy to make and amazingly delicious.
It's an addicting combination of chicken, cream cheese, and ranch dressing. A super easy weeknight meal for busy days.
why I love this slow cooker chicken breast recipe
• Just 3 ingredients. Crockpot Crack Chicken is the ultimate comfort dinner!
• The cream cheese blended with the ranch and slow cooking creates a fall apart, juicy slow cooker chicken breast that is SO delicious!
• This easy recipe for crack chicken is so simple to make and extremely tasty!
• It's a great slow-cooker chicken breast recipe for easy weeknight dinners. Just a few minutes of prep time.
• The easiest recipe I know for a dinner that everyone loves. Great for the whole family!
• No prior cooking skills needed. Great for teens who are learning to cook.
what you need
Non-Stick Cooking Spray - I prefer olive oil cooking spray. You can use your favorite kind. Or grease the inside of the slow cooker with olive oil.
Chicken Breasts - I used a 2 lb. bag of frozen skinless boneless chicken breasts. Most major grocery stores carry this item.
Cream Cheese - You need 8 ounces. It can be lowfat or regular.
Ranch Dressing Packet - Use generic if you wish. I've tried this recipe with the brand name and the grocery store brand. Both were great.You could also make homemade ranch dressing mix from scratch. You can find the instructions in the notes section of the recipe card below.
how to make chicken crack
Step 1 - Spray the sides and bottom of the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Dump frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts into crock pot.
Step 2 - Sprinkle the ranch dressing packet over chicken. Then add one block of cream cheese. You can break it up if you wish, but you don't have to.
Step 3 - Place lid on top and turn the temperature up to high. Cooking time is for 4 hours. Now go do something fun while the chicken cooks. Check it a couple times and stir.
Step 4 - Pour into a casserole dish to serve. Goes great with white rice, brown rice or cauliflower rice plus your favorite sides. I love serving it with green beans.
Serving Option: You can shred the chicken with a hand mixer for 1 minute while it's still warm. This is a good idea if you want to make shredded chicken sandwiches.
Store your perfect crockpot chicken breasts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
• If you don't have a mixer, you can shred the chicken with two forks.
• Try this recipe with homemade ranch dressing mix. First make a batch of powdered ranch mix. In a small bowl, mix together ½ cup buttermilk powder, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 2 teaspoons dried dill weed, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon sea salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Then measure out 2 tablespoons to add to chicken.
• Add ins - After the chicken is done and pulled apart, try adding shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and chopped scallions or green onions for extra flavor.
• Serve this crockpot shredded chicken as a dip, over rice, pasta or as a sloppy joe on a bun. This delicious meal is sure to be a new family favorite.
• This Crack Chicken Recipe in the Crockpot Slow Cooker is also great for making burrito bowls.
frequently asked questions
• What size crock pot should I use? Any standard size crock pot will work. We used a vintage style which is 3.5 quarts.
• Why is it called crack chicken? Probably because it is so addicting! And easy to make. Just throw a few pieces of chicken in with a block of cream cheese and packet of dry ranch seasoning and go!
• What's the difference between a crock pot and a slow cooker? A slow cooker and a Crockpot are the same thing, essentially. A slow cooker is an appliance of which there are lots of brands. Crockpot is one brand of slow cooker. Crockpot popularized slow cookers when they launched their version in the 1970s.
• Do I have to use frozen chicken? No, you an use fresh chicken for this recipe, if you wish. Always wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
• Can I use Ranch dressing instead of dressing mix? No. The recipe will not work as well with Ranch dressing. It will be too much liquid and the chicken won't be as tender.
• Can I make chicken crack in an instant pot? Yes, here's a great recipe for Instant Pot Crack Chicken from Baking Beauty.
• Are you making it for dinner tonight? Yes. Yes I am!
Looking for more chicken recipes? You might also like Nana's Chicken and Gluten Free Dumplings or this Grilled Chicken Cilantro Lime Rice Bowl. If you looking for more slow cooker chicken recipes or slow cooker recipes, try 61 of The Best Slow Cooker Recipes for One or Two from Back to My Southern Roots.
Crack Chicken Recipe in the Crockpot Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs. skinless boneless chicken breasts we used frozen
- 1 packet powdered ranch dressing mix (1 oz) about 2 tablespoons
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Dump frozen chicken into crock pot.
- Sprinkle the ranch dressing packet over chicken. Then add one block of cream cheese. You can break it up if you wish, but you don't have to.
- Place lid on top and turn the temperature up to high. Cook for 4 hours. Check it a couple times and stir. Pour into a casserole dish to serve.
- Goes great with white rice or caulifower rice. Serving Option: You can shred the chicken with a hand mixer for 1 minute while it's still warm. This is a good idea if you want to make shredded chicken sandwiches. Add ins - After the chicken is done and pulled apart, try adding shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and chopped scallions or green onions for extra flavor.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.