These Savory Ginger Rounds look like a sweet cookie, but they’re more like a soft, spicy cracker. The recipe comes from a wonderful cookbook called Spice To Plate by the Savory Spice Shop. And guess what! I’m giving away a FREE copy, plus a BONUS spice – Baker’s Brew Coffee Spice. One lucky spice lover will be a winner.
Have you ever heard of the Savory Spice Shop? We just got one in Atlanta and it’s such a neat place. They sell all kinds of fresh ground spices and handcrafted seasonings. Savory Spice Shop also offers extracts, sauces, spice ware and assorted specialty items. If you have one in your area, you should definitely check it out or click here for the website.
This recipe is actually called Savory Ginger Squares in the book, but I thought it would be easier to make them as rounds. In addition to ginger, these Savory Ginger Rounds get lots of flavor from a signature spice from the Savory Spice Shop called Bohemian Forest European Style Seasoning.
This seasoning contains crushed brown mustard, garlic, rosemary, pepper, thyme, savory, parsley, lavender, and sage. Quite a unique blend of flavors. Colorful too.
Start by chopping up 1 cup of crystallized ginger. I found it easiest to use scissors.
Then you zest an orange and a lemon.
Whip up the batter which is very similar to making gingerbread cookies (butter, dark brown sugar, molasses and eggs). Then stir in the dry ingredients, water, seasoning, zest, ginger and lavender.
Roll dough into balls and place on a lined cookies sheet. Then flatten with the palm of your hand. Brush with a mixture of egg whites, lemon juice and powdered sugar to get that beautiful crackled look after baking. Sprinkle with additional ginger.
Bake at 350°F for about 12 minutes. I love how the sugary glaze cracked into a beautiful pattern.
Here’s a quote from the book: “These are lovely and delicious… like a savory, chewy adult gingerbread. They are very creative for a dinner party, especially to accompany something more savory like a cheese plate.” – Kerry Brown, Atlanta, Georgia
The cookbook features recipes centered around the various spices available at Savory Spice Shop. There’s a variety of recipes including Appetizers, Soups & Salads, Sides, Main Dishes and a few desserts.
GIVEAWAY INFO: This giveaway runs from 8/13/2015 at 6:00pm EST until 8/18/2015 at 11:59pm EST. The giveaway is open to residents of the USA, aged 18+ only. A winner will be chosen at random, displayed on the widget and emailed within 48 hours of the giveaway closing. The winner has 48 hours to claim their prize, or a new winner will be chosen.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Savory Ginger Rounds
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 eggs 1 whole and 1 with yolk and white separated
- 2 tablespoons Bohemian Forest European Style Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups flour plus more for rolling dough
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup diced crystallized ginger divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon lavender
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a stand mixer, cream butter with brown sugar and molasses on high speed until incorporated, about 1 minute. Lower speed to medium. Add 1 whole egg and mix until incorporated. Add egg yolk and continue mixing until incorporated; scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add Bohemian Forest, baking soda, salt and half of the flour. Mix at medium speed until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl again as necessary. Add water, lemon and orange zest, 3/4 cup of the diced crystallized ginger, and remaining half of the flour and mix until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for a minute until a smooth ball comes together. Divide dough in half and roll out each half into a 1/2-inch thick square. Cut dough into 2-inch squares or diamonds, or use a cookie cutter shape of your choice. Place squares about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Whisk egg white with lemon juice and confectioner's sugar. Using a pastry brush, brush a thin layer of glaze on each square. (For a nice crackle effect, glaze squares just before they go in the oven. You'll likely end up with leftover glaze.) Top each square with 2 to 3 pieces of the remaining diced crystallized ginger and sprinkle with lavender to taste. Bake one sheet at a time for 5 minutes then turn the sheet around in the oven and bake for 5 more minutes. Let squares cool on the baking sheets before serving. These will keep for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container.