Aunt Nancy's Peach Pie with Streusel Topping is a homemade peach pie with fresh peaches in a frozen store bought crust and made-from-scratch streusel topping.
Note: This blog post by contributing author, Andrea Ferenchik.
Hey there! I'm Andrea. I'm so excited to be a contributor on Mom Loves Baking. I have a huge family and food has always been a big part of our traditions. I'm excited to share the food and the women behind the recipes with you in these posts.
My Aunt Nancy was such a cool lady. She had the most contagious laugh and slightly inappropriate sense of humor. She was an incredible baker and had the green thumb that most of my family possesses but seems to have alluded me. She also had a work ethic that I am not even sure how to describe. She ran a bed and breakfast at one point, and owned a commercial bakery on Pelee Island. If you’ve never been to Pelee Island, it is a little island on Lake Erie (in Canada) but you can get there by ferry from Sandusky, Ohio. I grew up in Ohio, near the lake, and had never been to Pelee Island until 2015.
My Aunt Nancy on Pelee Island at sunset.
When I left my corporate job, one of the things I wanted to do was to finally get to Canada to visit my Aunt Nancy and my cousins. I can’t really describe why I had this as a goal but my parents went to visit a lot and always had a good time. I am so glad I made the time to go up and visit her for 2 summers because she unexpectedly died in 2015 of a brain aneurysm. I will always remember her laughter, her positive spirit, and her delicious cooking. I hope that by passing along this recipe you can experience a little bit of that too.
This recipe was one of Aunt Nancy’s favorites and the Windsor Star featured it, and then highlighted it again as a fan favorite a year later. Is there anything better than fresh peaches in season? I say no way!!
I have a little trick for peeling peaches. It works like a charm! You boil the peaches for 1 minute then submerge them in ice water. Then you gently break the skin and peel it right off! Voila!
To make the pie, line a pie shell with a favorite pie crust. Aunt Nancy liked the pie crust recipe from the package of Tenderflake Lard. I, however, used the frozen pie crusts from Pillsbury. I mean, who has time to make homemade pie crusts these days?
If you're curious about the Tenderflake Lard, I found it here on Amazon (affiliate):
Fill crust with sliced peaches, fresh, frozen or canned so long as they’re drained. (I used frozen pie crusts but seriously, please don’t use canned or frozen peaches. It’s a sin. For real.) Then you make the custard and streusel topping.
Scroll down to get the complete recipe for this delicious pie.
Pie can be served warm or chilled. This pie can spoil easily, so store in the fridge.
Good to the last drop!
I hope you will try Aunt Nancy's Peach Pie with Streusel Topping. Let me know what you think in the comments. Snap a photo and tag @momlovesbaking on Instagram. We love to see what our readers are baking!
Read more about Andrea on our Meet the Team page.
Aunt Nancy's Peach Pie with Streusel Topping
For the pie
- 1 frozen pie crust thawed
- 4-5 large fresh peaches peeled, pitted and sliced
For the custard
- 3 large egg yolks
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For streusel topping
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
For the pie
- Line a pie shell with a favorite pie crust. Aunt Nancy liked the pie crust recipe from the package of Tenderflake Lard. I, however, used the frozen pie crusts from Pillsbury. I mean, who has time to make homemade pie crusts these days?
- Fill crust with sliced peaches, fresh, frozen or canned so long as they’re drained. (I used frozen pie crusts but seriously, please don’t use canned or frozen peaches. It’s a sin. For real.)
For the custard
- Whisk until well-blended. Add one 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour over peaches in shell. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
For the streusel topping
- Mix with fingers until crumbs form. Remove pie from oven. Sprinkle with topping.
- Return to oven for 15 more minutes or until streusel is golden brown and a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool slightly. Serve and enjoy!
You might also like...
Or maybe you would like...
Or Apple Pie with Pumpkin Caramel Sauce (super easy)!